• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Are Hay Sacks Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinaG

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
piggie slept in her hay sack all night with the hay - is it safe?! Obviously it's not what it's intended for!

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

I have heard a lot of youtubers with hay sacks saying how much their guinea pigs like to go inside them.

She loves it, she's recovering from an op at the mo and feels sorry for herself, she came downstairs for her breakfast then raced straight back up to her hay sack! It's clearly very cosy for her, I just want to make sure it's safe, it's clipped up onto the bars, but touching the floor, so I guess it's like a hammock?! When I checked she was ok this morning, she ran out through one of the holes, so I know she can get out if she needs to.

Aw bless her. I hope her recovery goes well. I would say they are safe. Will be getting/making one for my two (who are coming to me mid february).

If she feels safe and is warm then it's probably ideal. One of mine loves her hammock and sleeps for hours on it, not quite the same but I think they feel very cozy in that sort of environment.

My girls love sleeping in their hay. As long as the holes aren't smell enough to trap her head it should be fine. I have heard a few horror stories about guinea pigs strangling themselves after getting their heads stuck in hay racks / sacks. But if her body can fit through the hole then I wouldn't worry.

As long as the holes are large enough (or flexible) so that they don't get stuck then its fine.

Yeah, the nice thing about a fleece hay sack, rather than a metal or wood hay rack, is that it stretches. So as long as it stretches far enough for her to get in and out without being stuck, I wouldn't be too concerned. It's essentially like a hammock :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back