• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Are male Piggles friendlier than Girl Piggles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot fox

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In my extensive experience with two neutered males (!) our boys were the Creakiest and sweetest natured of our colony. However, that may be because they were handled the most as they belong/ed to daughter youngest, who is as potty about Piggles as I am!
So, on the whole, are boy furry things friendlier than girl furry things? Clearly when kept apart from other boy furry things, as that doesn't create harmony, I hear!
Just wondering.......

Ive only ever had boars in over 10 years of having guinea pigs. They have all been so friendly and loving but I know plenty of people will say that Sows are friendly and loving etc. I've only ever had boars because I just like them and maybe one day I would have some sows but fornow I'm happy to continue on with my boys :)

I had my sows since they were tiddlers and they are still shy a year on. I got Archie a couple of months ago and he was braver than they've ever been in the first week! He's the first boy I've ever had though so I can't compare him to any others, but he's definitely more confident than my girls. My girls prefer their cuddles though and will sit on my lap for hours, whereas Archie can't stand sitting there for 2 seconds :))

My last three were girls, current three are boys, and a mixture of ones before. I've never really noticed a difference in personalities. Pigs are the only animals I don't have a sex preference in.

According to the literature, boars are generally less shy and more friendly toward non-guinea pig creatures (including you or I!) than sows.

In reality, every piggy has its own personality and you can find very open and inquisitive sows and very shy boars.

Our boar is definitely friendlier than our little girl... He'll squeak and be cuddled for hours but she is a little more cautious.

I've only ever had girls, and they are so lovely, friendly and tame... Norah still has her shy moments, squeals the minute you go near her, but the others are great.
x

I have one neutered boy and three girls.

Boris is by far the most excitable (although he is the youngest by a month or two) and spends lots of time running laps and popcorning.

My girls seem quite chilled in comparison (especially Willow) and are more confident around us, but we've had them all from babies, whereas Boris is a rescue who has been with us about 3 months.

Willow will happliy sit and be fussed for ages, as will Boris. But Pippa and Pixel are wrigglers and get bored quickly!

In my opinion alot of it is in their individual character and how they are brought up :)

I always had boys because of what literature said...until i went to a piggy rescue and they didn't have boys, and i fell in love with three girlies that i couldn't leave behind. I now have both girl and boy piggies. They all have different characters. Some like cuddles and some don't. Some just like a chin tickle!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back