• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Are my pigs a good weight?

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Today I decided to do a big clean out of the pigs and I washed the aswell. I bought a spot on for them as it is getting hot, I figured it was the best thing to do to prevent mites and fleas. Before you give them the correct dosage you have to weigh them. I must admit, it as been a while since I last weighed them. So I'm just wondering if they are at healthy weights for their age.
Smudge is a 4 year old female and she is 900g.
Luna is a 3 year old female and she is 1kg 25g.

Also I might just add while I'm here that when I was washing Smudge, her skin was quite dry and a little flaky. How can I fix this? Or will the spot on help?

Thank you

Swissgreys

Forum Buddy
Their weights are fine, as long as that is roughly normal for them.
Our lightest adult pig (Lucy) usually hovers around the 1kg mark, and our heaviest (Oreo) is 1.25 - 1.3 kg.

Not sure what you mean about the spot on though?
Why would you treat them becasue it is hot?
Guinea pigs don't get fleas, and if they have mites they need to see a vet to make sure they get a full course of proper treatment.
Most pet store products aren't strong enough to fully deal with a problem, but can mask the symptoms making it harder for a vet to diagnose.
Particularly if one of your piggies has dry skin this could be symptomatic of a skin condition or fungal infection which would require different treatment.
If you are concerned I would consider popping them along to the vet to have them checked over before applying anything.

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Their weights are fine, as long as that is roughly normal for them.
Our lightest adult pig (Lucy) usually hovers around the 1kg mark, and our heaviest (Oreo) is 1.25 - 1.3 kg.

Not sure what you mean about the spot on though?
Why would you treat them becasue it is hot?
Guinea pigs don't get fleas, and if they have mites they need to see a vet to make sure they get a full course of proper treatment.
Most pet store products aren't strong enough to fully deal with a problem, but can mask the symptoms making it harder for a vet to diagnose.
Particularly if one of your piggies has dry skin this could be symptomatic of a skin condition or fungal infection which would require different treatment.
If you are concerned I would consider popping them along to the vet to have them checked over before applying anything.
Thank you. In terms of the spot on, it wasn't really because it was hot but really because it is the summer and there are more flies and stuff along the lines of that around. I will keep an eye on Smudge as the dry skin is new and if it gets worse I will talk the the vet about it.