• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Are old clothes suitable for piggies to sleep on?

LianFlower

New Born Pup
Hello everyone Lian here. I am pretty new to piggie care, right now I have two little girls and there set up is temporary. They have a fleece pad and on top of it is a towel. I noticed it seems like they might be getting chilly at night, the towel is laid flat so it doesn't offer much snuggle-ness. I wanted to give my piggies an old pair of pajama pants but hesitated because I thought they might be able to hurt themselves somehow by crawling inside or what not. Please let me know what you think, and what would an experiences owner do to help offer your piggies a little warmth? Thanks. :)

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
I don't use old clothes for my piggies but only cos I haven't thought of it myself!:doh: I should think that old pyjama pants would be fun for piggies as they could snuggle in the legs. I may try this for my piggies!:)

LianFlower

New Born Pup
I don't use old clothes for my piggies but only cos I haven't thought of it myself!:doh: I should think that old pyjama pants would be fun for piggies as they could snuggle in the legs. I may try this for my piggies!:)
Yeah I thought they might like it but I was worried they could get stuck or wrapped up in them and hurt themselves somehow, do you think this is unlikely?

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
Yeah I thought they might like it but I was worried they could get stuck or wrapped up in them and hurt themselves somehow, do you think this is unlikely?
If you're worried cut the legs short.

Hay is a great idea! They seem to get it really mixed in with poo though so I was trying to find something else, thanks! :D
My lot always have fresh hay in hay racks but prefer the hay they have wee'd and pooped in and they choose that over nice clean hay. I have come to the conclusion that it tastes nicer like that if you are a piggie! As long as they are eating hay does it matter?

LianFlower

New Born Pup
If you're worried cut the legs short.

My lot always have fresh hay in hay racks but prefer the hay they have wee'd and pooped in and they choose that over nice clean hay. I have come to the conclusion that it tastes nicer like that if you are a piggie! As long as they are eating hay does it matter?
I'm not sure if it matters, I thought I'd heard they could get sick that way from eating hay that's gotten poo on it but maybe I mis-understood.

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
I'm not sure if it matters, I thought I'd heard they could get sick that way from eating hay that's gotten poo on it but maybe I mis-understood.
Mine are healthy and as said earlier they seem to prefer it to fresh hay. You can't tell piggies only to eat fresh hay. Hay is hay and they'll eat it wherever it is!

Jaycey

Forum Donator 2017/18
They won't get sick from eating hay with poops on as they eat their own poop anyway.

The only time to worry is if it were really old hay but that wouldn't be a problem as pigs need to be cleaned out regularly. Or if the hay had poop on it when you buy it, but why would anyone buy contaminated hay!

Seven7

Junior Guinea Pig
Hello everyone Lian here. I am pretty new to piggie care, right now I have two little girls and there set up is temporary. They have a fleece pad and on top of it is a towel. I noticed it seems like they might be getting chilly at night, the towel is laid flat so it doesn't offer much snuggle-ness. I wanted to give my piggies an old pair of pajama pants but hesitated because I thought they might be able to hurt themselves somehow by crawling inside or what not. Please let me know what you think, and what would an experiences owner do to help offer your piggies a little warmth? Thanks. :)
My Finn and Lara have fleece pouches. Lara crawls inside the fleece pouch even in the summer, she is an indoor piggy living in an air-conditioned room. Lara crawls and sleeps inside her fleece pouch cuddling her favorite stuffed puppy and I really feel that this is her favorite thing to do.

In your case, I would definitely recommend fleece pouches they can crawl into and cuddle. It really works well for mine. I have 6 fleece pouches for my 2 piggies so I can wash them frequently.

LianFlower

New Born Pup
My Finn and Lara have fleece pouches. Lara crawls inside the fleece pouch even in the summer, she is an indoor piggy living in an air-conditioned room. Lara crawls and sleeps inside her fleece pouch cuddling her favorite stuffed puppy and I really feel that this is her favorite thing to do.

In your case, I would definitely recommend fleece pouches they can crawl into and cuddle. It really works well for mine. I have 6 fleece pouches for my 2 piggies so I can wash them frequently.
Thanks I will try that. :)