• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Are Piggies Afraid Of Spiders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
No, this is not some random question my kids have dreamed up to irritate me but a genuine question. Today it was too damp for the piggies to have their grass time so I set up the floor of the piggy room for playtime. All was going well. Then Suddenly Violet suddenly became very upset and froze then started teeth gnashing with her fur on end. Connie was nowhere near so I knew it wasn't a spat between them. I scooped her up and calmed her down. Later she went to the very same place (under the table) and the same thing happened. I couldn't see anything at the time but when I was sweeping up later a very large spider popped out from behind the box under the table (where I keep the fleeces) and I wondered whether it was the spider that set her off. Anyone else had similar?

l have not had this problem , but l beleve there is more to an animals senses than hearing, seeing and smelling .
lf you google jacobsons organ ,it will tell you of a part of all animals brains that allows them to sence things .
(it also says that we homans also have this organ though we have become to lazy to use it ) (in indea they call it
the shara, or 3rd eye )

What l am trying to say is that l beleve that it is quite possibal that your pigs senced the presance of the spider

if you want a good example of this, a dog is well able to disctimanste between a man or a woman walking
down you pathway .long before they see the person !

Last edited:
Ooh scary! I don't have the answer but this afternoon Lola was out for lap time and a spider was near her, I had to move Lola out the way as I didn't want it going on her. But she didn't seem to be frightened.

I don't get many spiders in my house except for lurking ones in corners and giant ones I pretend not to see. When they do come around, my piggies don't really react, same with other bugs or my dog honestly. Though what gizzy said is interesting haha

I would be highly ashamed of my boys if they were scared of spiders. In fact I would expect one of them to pin it down while the other pulled its legs off!

:lol!: The ASBO brothers! It must be because Violet's such a girlie that she didn't try to eat it!

l have not had this problem , but l beleve there is more to an animals senses than hearing, seeing and smelling .
lf you google jacobsons organ ,it will tell you of a part of all animals brains that allows them to sence things .
(it also says that we homans also have this organ though we have become to lazy to use it ) (in indea they call it
the shara, or 3rd eye )

What l am trying to say is that l beleve that it is quite possibal that your pigs senced the presance of the spider

if you want a good example of this, a dog is well able to disctimanste between a man or a woman walking
down you pathway .long before they see the person !

You could well be right @gizzy -they are very perceptive.

There was a big spider running around on the floor the other night, archie didnt seem to care at all, he just stomped past it, I think it was more scared of him.

It could be, depending on the guinea pig. We realized over the summer that Hadley is majorly afraid of flying insects... whereas the other pigs just ignored it if a fly buzzed them, she would squeal and make a run for it!

i think they are. well the movement of them anyway and not knowing what it is. maisie was frozen to the spot once looking really scared and not long after a spider ran across the cage. definitely unsettled her.

I have no idea as my piggies have never encountered one, though the other night roddy had a close shave with a giant one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back