• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Are snails dangerous to guinea pigs?

Laura2901

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi my guinea pigs are now indoor pigs but when i went out to check my outdoor hutch for summer coming i’ve noticed there is snail trails inside, theres obviously no way i can stop them getting in as they must of got through the bars. Are they dangerous to pigs?

Guineautopia

Teenage Guinea Pig
I’m not sure if they are dangerous, maybe someone else will know on that. But I find putting copper tape around the base of a run or legs of a hutch does a lot to discourage slugs and snails.

eileen

Forum Donator 2017/18
:agr: with Claire that snails and slugs are not dangerous to piggies,but i find them repulsive !:vom: i go out and use salt to try and control them ! 1am slug patrol ! i use copper on the base and legs.it is when i find them in the pellet bowl,i scream !:yikes:

Squeakz

Adult Guinea Pig
:agr: with Claire that snails and slugs are not dangerous to piggies,but i find them repulsive !:vom: i go out and use salt to try and control them ! 1am slug patrol ! i use copper on the base and legs.it is when i find them in the pellet bowl,i scream !:yikes:
I bet you go crazy when all the slugs are laid out on the path/patio after a heavy rainfall :xd:

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
i use copper on the base and legs.
I find putting copper tape around the base of a run or legs of a hutch does a lot to discourage slugs and snails.
@Tim suggested I use copper tape on the legs of my hutch it has worked wonders and I very rarely find slugs or snails in the hutch now. Thanks @Tim!