• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Are some breeds bigger then others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countrylass

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know giant guinea pigs are the biggest of all but are some breeds naturally bigger than others? Sweep, my little Ridgeback mongrel is nearly twice the size of Dillon (I don't know what breed Dillon is) and he is only a month older. By twice the size I mean taller, longer and only slightly wider. He is heavier but not overweight, in fact he is the fastest round the floor at run time of all the piggies. I think he's at least a foot long when he stretches, if not longer. Does anyone know of any big breeds?

Out of all of the piggies here, my Peruvians are the biggest, obviously lots of hair but big bodies underneath it. They are about 1500g in weight.

Not sure if that's the breed or just those particular piggies though!

Sophie

Rexes and Teddys are naturally larger breeds, Swiss can grow HUGE Bumble is around 1750g in weight! Pixie is only a bubby but her father was almost 2kg so she is likely to be massive too!

As for short haired, the American bred ones are larger than English.

Abby's are generally smaller in my experience.

Of all mine, Whiskey weighs the least at under 1kg (well apart from Pixie but she's only 7 weeks old!), Dodge (Coronet) is next, then Noodles (Rex) and JoJo (Peru x Abby) weigh a bit more and both weigh the same despite Noods being female and Jo being male, then we have the big lad Bumble (Swiss) at around 1750g as I said above!

Rexes and Teddys are naturally larger breeds, Swiss can grow HUGE Bumble is around 1750g in weight! Pixie is only a bubby but her father was almost 2kg so she is likely to be massive too!

As for short haired, the American bred ones are larger than English.

Abby's are generally smaller in my experience.

Of all mine, Whiskey weighs the least at under 1kg (well apart from Pixie but she's only 7 weeks old!), Dodge (Coronet) is next, then Noodles (Rex) and JoJo (Peru x Abby) weigh a bit more and both weigh the same despite Noods being female and Jo being male, then we have the big lad Bumble (Swiss) at around 1750g as I said above!

Out of all of the piggies here, my Peruvians are the biggest, obviously lots of hair but big bodies underneath it. They are about 1500g in weight.

Not sure if that's the breed or just those particular piggies though!

Sophie

Think it's all your piggies Sophie........................:)):)):))

Teresa xx

I have always wondered this myself. My 2 lilic girls are bigger than my abby crosses and one of my abby crosses is rather small. She is the youngest but isn't far behind in age to Erin (my abby / himi cross) who is only a couple of months older.

i think piggies are like people they are all different i have a little tiny piggie called millie she is a silky red and she has just had three babies i wouldnt have thought she could even have babies she is so tiny,she gets the same food as my other piggies and i have had this breed before but never as small as my little millie

so i think it depends on the piggie:(|)

Last edited:
Sweep's 8 months old and nearly 1200g which is more than Daisy who's a year old and Lulu who's 18 months old and he's still gaining weight. My coronet Fudge is the lightest which may be because he's highly strung and lovesick or perhaps coronets are naturally small under all that hair. I think Ridgebacks are either Peruvian x smooth crosses or Aby x smooth crosses so if he is part Peruvian he may end up alot bigger :))

i think piggies are like people they are all different i have a little tiny piggie called millie she is a silky red and she has just had three babies i wouldnt have thought she could even have babies she is so tiny,she gets the same food as my other piggies and i have had this breed before but never as small as my little millie

so i think it depends on the piggie:(|)

Millie and her babies are beautiful. Three of my foster boys look like her babies. I'm always surprised how different some mini pigs look in comparison with their mom - doesn't take much to surprise me though :red

Millie and her babies are beautiful. Three of my foster boys look like her babies. I'm always surprised how different some mini pigs look in comparison with their mom - doesn't take much to surprise me though :red

lol i know they were a little surprise i can see there mums colour in them now tho lol:(|)

Would someone take a look at my boys and advise? Earnie (the tri-coloured piggie) is twice the size of Dexter and they're supposedly the same age of 7 months. I should weigh them tomorrow mind. x

Attachments

• P1010650.jpg
    P1010650.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 5
Would someone take a look at my boys and advise? Earnie (the tri-coloured piggie) is twice the size of Dexter and they're supposedly the same age of 7 months. I should weigh them tomorrow mind. x

Is Ernie twice the size including his hair? He looks like a Peruvian (although I'm probably wrong) and I think they might be one of the larger breeds. Do they weigh much different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back