• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Are There Any Guinea Pig Social Groups?

GreenEyedDragoness

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, this is the first time I have ever post on these forums. I have a serious question and I hope to get some help with this

Is there a way where you meet up with other people and have your guinea play and socializing with other pigs before you can think about adoption?

Almost a week ago, a tragedy struck for me and my family when one of our guinea pigs, Crowley, passed away so unexpectedly and abruptly. A few days later, one of my dogs also got sick and we thought he wasn't going to make it. Eddie (our dog) has been doing better, but this has been a painful and emotional week for us, and I still feel partially responsible for what happened to my pumpkin sweetheart.

So far, I have been watching my other guinea pig, Grimmley, while we were attending to getting my dog better and I have been noticing some signs of bereavement. He was always a bit antisocial and he would hide quite a bit before. I believe that Crowley and Grimmley's relationship was between like/annoyance. They tolerated and like being around at times when Grimmley NEEDED it. Crowley made him more brave and active, but he's not here anymore. This means that Grimmley has been more anxious about being in an open area (like the shelf, kitchen counter, etc.) and he hides more from us than he used to. He would still eat and drink on a daily basis, but he does that more spot-on when we put it in or near his hiding spots. He even shivers a bit more than he used to, which could be from the fact that he doesn't have his bro to protect him anymore. Even when let him out to walk around, he would either hide or try to go searching for his brother.

Maybe I'm overreacting out of some motherly instinct but this has been bothering me for days and I don't want to lose another pet this year. 2020 has been a nightmare on my family that I don't any more pain and sorrow to come from this.

This is why I have been suggesting to my parents that we should start trying to find a new cagemate/friend early before things get worse. I'm not sure if Grimmley needs more time for him to move on since he's always been a quiet one. Even after Crowley left us, he never squealed in distress or worry. However, I'm not sure whether they either care about Grimmley as much as they did with Crowley or they're still going through their own grieving process regarding what happened, but they refuse to let me get another one and they would throw it aside. Telling me that he should move on and accept that he will alone for the rest of his life. I seriously do not think this is a good idea and he NEEDS a companion or two. It's still a part of his nature and I yearn to keep him around for another year.

This is why I'm asking if there any places or groups where we could meet up and give our guinea pigs some company. At least until my parents can finally agree with me with adopting another guinea pig or when I can move out on my own. I understand there's covid still going on and I know that there will be limited options to do something like that, but I'm not sure what to do for him. This situation is terrible and I'm so concerned.

I'm so sorry for your loss and your worry with your dog. I'm glad he's better. With regards play dates, guinea pigs don't do play dates. Each time you 'introduce' them to each other, it's a bonding session for them. Doing this repeatedly with different piggies is stressful for them. The best thing is to get him a friend. I know that your parents aren't wanting to do this, but it's not in his best interest to keep him alone for the rest of his life. That would be a very lonely existence for him.

But, if your parents aren't willing then I'm afraid you may have to think about surrendering him to a rescue who can find and pair him with a friend. I know it's difficult and painful, but if they're not willing to budge then you will just have to accept their choice. Seeing as you're a minor (still living at home), they have the responsibility to afford him his rights, one of which is a companion.

I'm sorry you're stuck in such a tough place. Have a read of the singles thread and see what you can do while you talk to your parents about it.

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

:agr:
I am sorry for your loss.
@Siikibam has given you great advice. I am afraid you simply can’t do those kind of play dates for guinea pigs. It’s not how they operate - any piggy they meet it needs to be with the intention of it being a permanent bonding (barring a failure during introduction).

To add, you mention ‘a friend or two’. You cannot keep three boars together without it causing fights, so if you are able to get him a friend, it can only be one other boar.

Hello, this is the first time I have ever post on these forums. I have a serious question and I hope to get some help with this

Is there a way where you meet up with other people and have your guinea play and socializing with other pigs before you can think about adoption?

Almost a week ago, a tragedy struck for me and my family when one of our guinea pigs, Crowley, passed away so unexpectedly and abruptly. A few days later, one of my dogs also got sick and we thought he wasn't going to make it. Eddie (our dog) has been doing better, but this has been a painful and emotional week for us, and I still feel partially responsible for what happened to my pumpkin sweetheart.

So far, I have been watching my other guinea pig, Grimmley, while we were attending to getting my dog better and I have been noticing some signs of bereavement. He was always a bit antisocial and he would hide quite a bit before. I believe that Crowley and Grimmley's relationship was between like/annoyance. They tolerated and like being around at times when Grimmley NEEDED it. Crowley made him more brave and active, but he's not here anymore. This means that Grimmley has been more anxious about being in an open area (like the shelf, kitchen counter, etc.) and he hides more from us than he used to. He would still eat and drink on a daily basis, but he does that more spot-on when we put it in or near his hiding spots. He even shivers a bit more than he used to, which could be from the fact that he doesn't have his bro to protect him anymore. Even when let him out to walk around, he would either hide or try to go searching for his brother.

Maybe I'm overreacting out of some motherly instinct but this has been bothering me for days and I don't want to lose another pet this year. 2020 has been a nightmare on my family that I don't any more pain and sorrow to come from this.

This is why I have been suggesting to my parents that we should start trying to find a new cagemate/friend early before things get worse. I'm not sure if Grimmley needs more time for him to move on since he's always been a quiet one. Even after Crowley left us, he never squealed in distress or worry. However, I'm not sure whether they either care about Grimmley as much as they did with Crowley or they're still going through their own grieving process regarding what happened, but they refuse to let me get another one and they would throw it aside. Telling me that he should move on and accept that he will alone for the rest of his life. I seriously do not think this is a good idea and he NEEDS a companion or two. It's still a part of his nature and I yearn to keep him around for another year.

This is why I'm asking if there any places or groups where we could meet up and give our guinea pigs some company. At least until my parents can finally agree with me with adopting another guinea pig or when I can move out on my own. I understand there's covid still going on and I know that there will be limited options to do something like that, but I'm not sure what to do for him. This situation is terrible and I'm so concerned.

Hi!

I am very sorry for your loss!
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Any meeting with another guinea pigs is a full-on bonding session as far as guinea pigs see it so 'play dates' are not an option.
Guinea pigs identify first and foremost as a group member and only second as an individual.

However, a number of good welfare standard rescues offer 'meet and greet' sessions in some form to allow your guinea pig a say in who they get on with and want to live with. Other companionship options are discussed in the singles guide link.
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

@Wiebke @Siikibam @Piggies&buns

I seriously want to thank you all for the help and suggestions. I would like to add some further details about this situation being difficult for me.

The first and most important thing is that I'm an adult, but I still live with my parents due to the difficulties of college. As a result, they still believe that they have authority over me since I never move out yet. Another thing is that Grimmley currently 4 years old (along with Crowley) and I'm not sure what would be the right match for him if I do get another boar.

Then, the final thing is that if I do have to give him away, I'm worried what will the recuse do with him since he's still antisocial and he has a sebaceous cyst on one side of his butt. He has that cyst over a year ago and we did our best to make sure if he's not hurt by that. He's been doing fine since then but he still doesn't like touch ( which happened even before he got it).

I seriously want to thank you all for the help and suggestions. I would like to add some further details about this situation being difficult for me.

The first and most important thing is that I'm an adult, but I still live with my parents due to the difficulties of college. As a result, they still believe that they have authority over me since I never move out yet. Another thing is that Grimmley currently 4 years old (along with Crowley) and I'm not sure what would be the right match for him if I do get another boar.

Then, the final thing is that if I do have to give him away, I'm worried what will the recuse do with him since he's still antisocial and he has a sebaceous cyst on one side of his butt. He has that cyst over a year ago and we did our best to make sure if he's not hurt by that. He's been doing fine since then but he still doesn't like touch ( which happened even before he got it).

I'm terribly sorry about this, and in most of Europe your parent's behavior would be illegal, and you'd usually have recourse to the public purse. In terms of social groups - it's possible that our competitor, the largest GP site in NA Your Guinea Pig's Home (metric) will have them. In the UK we usually have several forum social events, and rescue fundraising events per year, but of course with COVID they're all currently postponed indefinitely.

They can be bonded and rebonded at any time. Being four years old makes no difference to whether he can have another friend. Character compatibility comes first so if he finds a boar he likes, he will bond with him. However, he could still have another four years of life and that is a long time to be alone.

He isn’t antisocial, he just needs a character compatible piggy friend and they will be fine together.

A rescue would bond him with another piggy - either finding a suitable boar or neuter him and pair him with a sow.

Has the cyst been vet checked?

Most piggies don’t like being touched, so that is normal.

Back