• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Are these nails too long? How do you know when it's time?

mintpotatocc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
IMG_8744.jpgIMG_8745.jpg

Hello! I take my guinea pig to the vet for nail trims because I have difficulty doing it myself. I went to the vet two weeks ago (I go once a month for nail trim) and the technician said he could not cut my pig's front nails whatsoever because "they were too short to cut." I paid the full amount of money for this trim yet they only did his back nails! This looks long to me but what do you guys think? When do you know it's time to get a trim?

Attachments

• IMG_8746.jpg
    IMG_8746.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 9
Humm, usually they will cut them once a month. If the nails seemed curls then that's a good sign they need a trim. I think his/her nails look fine for now:nod:

Oh thank you! Great to hear! I thought this was considered curled so I was upset the vet took my money and didn't cut them! Thank you again :)

Humm, usually they will cut them once a month. If the nails seemed curls then that's a good sign they need a trim. I think his/her nails look fine for now:nod:
Oh thank you! Great to hear! I thought this was considered curled so I was upset the vet took my money and didn't cut them! Thank you again :)

They do look too short to cut yet. I cut my piggies nails every 6-8 weeks
Oh thank you! I can't believe I've been going every month and paying the vet when it was unnecessary.. I read wrong info online :( Thank you so much!

If you live in the UK the Rspca do free drop in sessions for guinea pig nail trimming. :)

I cut my boys nails about every 2-3 months but usually just when they're starting to curl.
Thank you! This is a lot less often than I thought! I thought this was already considered curling, but I feel a lot better knowing this now. THank you so much!

I actually live in the US )': But that is so kind that they do that! Thank you for letting me know ! :)
Hi! I'm in the US too. If you belong to NextDoor, sometimes local vet techs advertise in home nail trimmings.

Back