• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Are they fighting?

Chewie_Fluf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 2 guinea pigs and they seem to get along quite well, then one day I get out chewie and his lip is a bit scabby. Maybe a week later I get him out and now his lip is like this, is there anything I can do. Please help 20200906_175212.jpg

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Cheilitis causes scabs around the mouth and nose. It would be a good idea to have your piggy seen by a vet to check whether it could be cheilitis. It can be bacterial or fungal so requires prescribed treatment.

Chewie_Fluf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Cheilitis causes scabs around the mouth and nose. It would be a good idea to have your piggy seen by a vet to check whether it could be cheilitis. It can be bacterial or fungal so requires prescribed treatment.
Ok thank you, they need to get their nails trimmed so I'll ask then. Thank you

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 2 guinea pigs and they seem to get along quite well, then one day I get out chewie and his lip is a bit scabby. Maybe a week later I get him out and now his lip is like this, is there anything I can do. Please help View attachment 153027
Hi!

I agree that you need have your piggy seen by a vet for cheilitis (lip infection). Nothing to do with a fight!
Please stop feeding any fruit for the rest of his life as the acidity in it can cause tiny cracks in the lips through which bugs can get in which can be either bacterial, fungal (candida, which can also affect the mouth) or - sadly - in some cases something nastier.
Advanced cheilitis may not respond to treatment so a vet visit is best done as soon as you can get an appointment during regular opening hours.
Guinea Lynx :: Cheilitis