• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Are water bowls ok?

Guinea go brrrr

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've been researching guinea pigs a little bit and everything I've seen has been saying that I need a water bottle, but nobody has said anything about bowls. so is it ok to use a water bowl instead of a water bottle?

One of my piggies won’t use a bottle, so we have both. I don’t know if you can get Haypigs stuff in the US, but I use the mini food bowl as a water bowl. It’s raised up, so doesn’t get as much muck in it, and it doesn’t tip over quite so easily!

Attachments

• FE67D25C-FBEE-42B1-AD66-0E4B697D04B8.jpeg
    FE67D25C-FBEE-42B1-AD66-0E4B697D04B8.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 5
My pair wont use a bottle but love gathering round their water bowl, more so in the evening but guess thats when i notice them more maybe....cute watching them sip!

Mine have a bowl and bottle. Bowls need cleaning out often but that doesn't bother me

One of my boar pairs uses a bowl because they never seemed to understand bottles. I check it a few times a day because they can get bedding, poop, and hay in it. I change it twice a day usually.

You can use a bowl for sure :3 Just make sure its a heavy bowl cause they can and WILL spill the water
mischievous pigs they are

its perfectly fine to use water bowls. but there are some down sides. for example, they get really dirty easy unless you use fleece. and they may spill but only sometimes. But i do knwo a lot of piggies who odnt like using water bottles so then you should defiantly use a water bwols since guiena pigs have to drink fresh water.

I personally don't like using water bowls because they pee and poop and can lay in them, so you do have to constantly change the water. But if it works better for your pigs then it should be totally fine!

I use both. One of my girls used to pull on the water bottle a lot at night. It was so noisy it woke us up, so I took it away and had to use a bowl instead. After a while I could put the bottle back at night, but I kept the bowl as she seemed to prefer it. She died recently but I kept the bowl & bottle setup. Both bowl and bottle are cleaned and replaced twice a day.

Neither of my girls ever worked out how to drink from a bottle so we have a water bowl. They don't drink much generally

Bowls are fine, though small pets tend to kick bedding in (if you're using anything other than fleece) so you have to check them and refill them often. My pigs have a water bottle but we have hamsters in bin cages that have water bowls.

Back