• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Are Whimzees' Dog Treats Safe For Piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruby Inferno

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When I got my first pair of piggies from a pet shop (back then, I was not aware of how bad breeding/pet shops are, I would never buy animals from pet shops again because breeding does not help with all the homeless animals in rescues. However I do still buy hay and toys from that pet shop, which I don't mind doing because they really care about their animals and apparently they only buy from ethical breeders so I don't feel I'm supporting any kind of cruelty) during May last year, they had a Whimzees dog treat in their enclosure in the shop and they let us keep it when we brought the piggies home, they absolutely loved it so I've been feeding them to all of my piggies as well as my gerbils for a long time without any problems, however it has suddenly dawned on me they may not actually be suitable because information from pet shops can be very inacurrate?

Here is the list of ingredients: Potato starch, glycerin, powdered cellulose, lecithin, yeast, colour added (malt extract, annatto extract, alfalfa extract).
One of the Whimzees treats contains calcium carbonate for colouring, but I never feed them that one.

If you happen to know how safe these ingredients are, please let me know. :)

Edit: Oh and if you know if gerbils can eat them too that would be very helpful, but if you don't that's absolutely fine. :)

It is great you have asked this as there are no safe treats to feed guinea pigs. That treat contains potato which I would never feed and things like colouring which is not good for them. I have no idea about gerbils but I know @Claire W has gerbils so she will know for you.

Thanks!

Hmm shall I just throw the piggies' ones that are currently in their hutches in the bin? It feels like such a waste but I'd rather waste them than have my guinea pigs eat something they shouldn't. I know potatoes are poisonous, but it just contains the starch, and I have fed so many of these without problems so I'm a bit confused. :hmm:

I know someone who has a dog, so if they cannot be fed to any of my pets I can just give the unused ones to them.

Personally, I would just throw them in the bin. It is a good idea to ask if your friends dog would like them.

I will wait for more peoples' opinions before I do throw them away, it's quite late so most of the forum members are asleep. :)

No these are not suitable for guinea pigs, i would give them to your friends dog. The only "safe" piggie treats are natural herb treats (eg forrage mix) or hay based "treats".

I'm worried, is this really bad? I've been feeding them for many months now.. :eek:

I will definitely take them out of the piggies' hutches.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't feed them to either pigs or gerbils.

I know of several owners that feed their pigs 'unconventional' treats without apparent harm.
My only concern is about unseen long term dangers such as kidney or liver damage, even diabetes from unseen sugar excess.
The little buggers never tell you when they're in pain so it's always a guessing game and expensive vet bills to diagnose.

To be honest, I wouldn't feed them to my piggies or gerbils.

I have owned gerbils for many years and the only pet shop treat that they have are those rotastak chocolate / milk / yoghurt drops and they are only given those occasionally.

I doubt that you have caused the guinea pigs and gerbils much damage feeding them the Whimzees, but I would stop giving them now.

Thank you everyone! I have thrown away the ones from my guinea pigs' hutches, and I don't think my gerbils currently have one anyway (either that or it's buried under all their bedding in some unknown location...).

Haha I feel so guilty now. Doughnut, the piggy in my avatar, absolutely loves the Whimzees treats. I will have to give him extra cuddles to make up for it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back