• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Are woodshavings a sutible bedding?

Big Sky Piggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would like to know if Guinea pigs can be safely housed on woodshavings. I previously had my Piggies on woodshavings but was advised to switch to a different bedding, when one of my Guinea Pigs became ill with a chest infection. I do not know if she was ill because of the bedding, or that she already had the illness when we got her, as she had been sneezing(since we got her) and had already been to the vet for a gloopy eye(with in the first month or so of having her). All of these problems cleared up nearly 2 years ago, and I am currently using a compressed paper based bedding, called back to nature. Although this bedding is sutible it is quite expensive for the amount you get in a bag compared to woodshavings. It isn't a major problem if I cannot use woodshavings but I would be very happy to know if I can. Thank you.

Woodshavings can be used as long as they are dust free. I don't like them though as they clump together when wet and the wetness stays on top. I tried aubiose after seeing it mentioned on here which is a hemp based bedding. The wee sinks to the bottom so the top of the layer stays dry. It's horse bedding so comes in 20kg bags. I tend to buy 3 bags every 5-6 months which costs me around £30

I have always used shavings and I personally love them. I do feel they are better though when under a good layer of hay so the piggies dont have their noses right in it. I've tried some other stuff but never really been happy with using it long term. It does require vigilant spot cleaning or youll get wet patches, which arent nice. Just make sure they are dust extracted and kiln dried if pine, aspen shavings can also be used if you're in a country that does them. Steer clear of cedar shavings though, although these arent as commonly available in a lot of places but the phenols in them are too strong for piggies and can make them very sick.

@Lady Kelly Sorry to jump in, but where do you get your bedding from? I've been looking at switching to auboise but I haven't been able to find it at a good price. 3 bags for £30 sounds amazing! The stuff I currently use is easichick and while it's absorbent, I find it's a little too hard and chunky.

Woodshavings can be used as long as they are dust free. I don't like them though as they clump together when wet and the wetness stays on top. I tried aubiose after seeing it mentioned on here which is a hemp based bedding. The wee sinks to the bottom so the top of the layer stays dry. It's horse bedding so comes in 20kg bags. I tend to buy 3 bags every 5-6 months which costs me around £30
Might look into this, fleece isnt wicking for me, i have tried everything with prepping. I have a horse place near me

I use snowflake soft chip, I've got no complaints, it's absorbent and soft so it doesn't hurt their paws. Plus I pat it down with a dustpan to make a smooth firm surface for my lot to walk on. ;)

@Lady Kelly Sorry to jump in, but where do you get your bedding from? I've been looking at switching to auboise but I haven't been able to find it at a good price. 3 bags for £30 sounds amazing! The stuff I currently use is easichick and while it's absorbent, I find it's a little too hard and chunky.

I went through the aubiose website to find a local stockist. There's one about 20 mins away and I'm sure it's around £10.50 a bag. Though the one near me was previously doing a cheaper price per bag if you buy 3 or more (and luckily I can squeeze 3 in the back of my hatchback)

I’ve used snowflake woodshavings for 10 years and never had a problem. My Edward did have a sneezy episode shortly after we got him which we thought was the woodshavings so we tried easibed but I didn’t like it as it felt too hard. We then realised it was the batch of hay making him sneeze so reverted back to the woodshavings and have had no problems since. I buy a huge bale for £7.99 from my local pet shop

So would snowflake woodshavings be the best option? I'm not sure that pets at home sell them.

Welcome to the forum
I use wood shavings and it’s no problem so long as you clean the cage regularly.
Every person finds the bedding that works best for them.
Please let us see pictures of your piggies

Chestnut is the top brown one and Acorn is the bottom Black one 😍

Back