• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Aspiration

Kittykatindeed

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I feel like a horrible pig mom!
during morning meds , my baby girl aspirated her medicine and is now making a funny noise when breathing.

it’s happened before but she got over it within thirty minutes and an expensive trip to the vet. But what should I do! She’s eating veggies perfectly , just making a funny breathing noise and coughing slightly.

it would be best to go to the vet to be checked. Something like this shouldn’t be left unchecked

I feel like a horrible pig mom!
during morning meds , my baby girl aspirated her medicine and is now making a funny noise when breathing.

it’s happened before but she got over it within thirty minutes and an expensive trip to the vet. But what should I do! She’s eating veggies perfectly , just making a funny breathing noise and coughing slightly.

Hi!

Please contact your vet. It sounds like it has gone into the lungs this time if she is coughing and her not just having a stuffy nose.
This needs to be checked as it could potentially lead to pneumonia in due time.

When giving any medication or support feeding, please never push the plunger fully and strongly.
Only give as much as she can hold in her mouth at any time (between 0.3 - 0.5 ml, i.e. one third to half of a syringe); in very weak and ill piggies this can go down to 0.1 ml (1/10 of a small syringe). Wait until it has gone down before giving more. If you have a piggy with a known problem, err on the side of caution and give the medication in smaller lots.

My poor baby aspirated his meds several times but i couldn't noticed.yesterday he had aspiration syndrome after i gave his meds and died. I feel so guilty and desperate.and i can not forgive myself.please be carefull and track your guinea pigs behaviour after.

I’m very sorry for your loss. However this thread is from July. Do check when responding and always start your own thread. Take care of yourself.

My poor baby aspirated his meds several times but i couldn't noticed.yesterday he had aspiration syndrome after i gave his meds and died. I feel so guilty and desperate.and i can not forgive myself.please be carefull and track your guinea pigs behaviour after.

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your loss. Please always start your own threads and do not revive old threads since that can cause confusion.

Sadly inexpert syringing from new owners can happen; especially with very young or very frail piggies that struggle to swallow. Please don't bury yourself in your guilt. It is one of those harsh life lesson that you as a new owner cannot foresee. You can never judge yourself from hindsight.
Please try to take it on the chin, get up and come here for any questions or research whenever there is a problem. You will always have to live with the regret but what is more important for you in the long term is how you move on and what you make of the lesson you have learned. If you can honour your lost one by turning the mistake into something constructive and positive in the future, then the death has not been in vain and will hopefully help you safe lives in the future.
Here is our grieving guide, which you will hopefully find find helpful as it deals with the very common guilt problem that is characteristic for the onset of the grieving guide: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Here is what you can do for the companion now and in the coming days: Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

Back