• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ate puppy pad

Agashe

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,I have a 2 y/o boar named Hazel and a 1 month old J. Rod,when it rains it pours on me I guess because I’m back for more help. I used puppy pads on Thursday and had fleece on top with binders to hold it in place. Friday morning I woke up and one of them,I’m not sure who,had taken a pretty pig chunk out of the puppy pad,specifically the white part. Today I am monitoring them for any issues and I was home all day with them yesterday and they seemed fine/happy even running and popcorning. Both are pooping with Hazel pooping the least. Hazel has eaten some of his hay but I can’t say for sure he’s been active today as I was at work. I gave him some grape vines without the grapes and he ate quiet a bit of that. The vet told me since he’s eating and pooping and since it’s been 24 hours he might be okay. Does anyone have any experience on this? It was about the size of a CD if I have to give a size that they ate out of the pad.

keep an eye on them both and if anything seems off then take them in to the vet.

You say Hazel has eaten some hay, are they separated?

keep an eye on them both and if anything seems off then take them in to the vet.

Off the recommendations from I believe you (?) and one other poster they are cagemates at this time,which greatly improved both of their moods and energy/eating habits.Hazel is currently eating some guinea pig safe twigs and he ate a bit of hay earlier.

He’s pooped maybe 4 pellets full pellets out in about 4 hours is that number okay?

That seems little. Are you sure he’s only done four poops in as many hours? Is that his usual ‘rate’?

That seems little. Are you sure he’s only done four poops in as many hours? Is that his usual ‘rate’?

It doesn’t seem like his normal rate to me,I took out all other poops so I do know that it’s only 4 unless he ate some and unless he ate some hay while I took a nape he hasn’t had any hay in that time either. He’s just kinda chilling in his house

Hi!

Please keep an eye on your piggy for the next 24 hours or so.

As long as your piggy is eating normally, there is no blockage. Most people tend to fixate on the output, but the input is actually often better in judging the situation because if the digestive conveyor belt is not able to run normally, your piggy will show pretty soon signs of feeling off and losing their appetite. That is when you need to see a vet asap as an emergency. Poo output is not quite as clockwise regular and often happens in spurts during the two runs through the gut that hay fibre takes in order to be broken down completely.

That said, blockages - even from plastic eating piggies - are rare. Out of 70 piggies of mine, I have only ever lost one of them to a blockage (cause unknown) over Christmas Day 2017. Just keep under observation but please don't fret yourself into small shreds. Piggies have a tough digestive system.

If he doesn’t seem himself I would get him to the vet to be honest. Start weighing at the same time every day and see how his weight is.

Hi!

As long as your piggy is eating normally, there is no blockage. Most people tend to fixate on the output, but the input is actually often better in judging the situation because if the digestive conveyor belt is not able to run normally, your piggy will show pretty soon signs of feeling off and losing their appetite. That is when you need to see a vet asap as an emergency. Poo output is not quite as clockwise regular and often happens in spurts during the two runs through the gut that hay fibre takes in order to be broken down completely.

That said, blockages - even from plastic eating piggies - are rare. Out of 70 piggies of mine, I have only ever lost one of them to a blockage (cause unknown) over Christmas Day 2017. Just keep under observation but please don't fret yourself into small shreds. Piggies have a tough digestive system.

Well it’s been 24 hours since it was eaten however I haven’t seen him eat much today,I gave him grape vines and he ate that and he chewed/ate some safe twigs but I haven’t seen him go out of his way for hay

Hi!

I just saw him eat a bit of hay,pellets and a little of the left over grape vines

I just saw him eat a bit of hay,pellets and a little of the left over grape vines

If in any doubt, you monitor the food intake by switching from the normal once weekly weigh-in to weighing daily at the same time.
Adjust the feeding support (syringe feeding) as necessary once your piggy has lost over 50g in a very short time.

You can find all the necessary emergency and bridging care tips in this one-stop guide link here, which you may want to bookmark and read; just so you know what to do. It is now midnight in the UK (where the forum is based), and unlike the UK, your country doesn't have round the clock out-of-hours vet cover. The link is a collection of all the information you'll need at a time when you are very stressed and don't want to spend ages looking for vital information. It also contains care tips on how you can improvise with what you have at home or easily available until you can see a vet or order the necessary support care online.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

If in any doubt, you monitor the food intake by switching from the normal once weekly weigh-in to weighing daily at the same time.
Adjust the feeding support (syringe feeding) as necessary once your piggy has lost over 50g in a very short time.

You can find all the necessary emergency and bridging care tips in this one-stop guide link here, which you may want to bookmark and read; just so you know what to do. It is now midnight in the UK (where the forum is based), and unlike the UK, your country doesn't have round the clock out-of-hours vet cover. The link is a collection of all the information you'll need at a time when you are very stressed and don't want to spend ages looking for vital information. It also contains care tips on how you can improvise with what you have at home or easily available until you can see a vet or order the necessary support care online.

You guys have 24 hour vet care? I will keep an eye on him but won’t try to panic too much since 24 hours has passed and tomorrow morning will be 48 hours and he’s currently into his water. He’s also rumble strutting a bit to the baby which is normal. He’s not eating the hay from the hay dispenser though but I have seen him have a bit of hay a few minutes ago so I’m not super worried about that action

You can’t judge hay intake by eye. As you’re a little concerned I would still weigh him daily at the same time, just for a secondary ‘accurate’ eye. I’d also consider putting hay piles in the cage. Piggies like to sleep, poo and laze while eating it.

You can’t judge hay intake by eye. As you’re a little concerned I would still weigh him daily at the same time, just for a secondary ‘accurate’ eye. I’d also consider putting hay piles in the cage. Piggies like to sleep, poo and laze while eating it.

I did go ahead and put some hay inside the hut as I noticed he was eating some near his entrance, he wants to be lazy I guess lol. I’m hoping everything will go well but since I see him eating I am worrying less. His last weigh was at about 1024.gms and a prior one to that was 1016.gms tonight he weighs 1000.gms and I have read that weight can vary from day to day. I think the weigh today was enough to say that he’s not drastically losing weight but I will keep a close eye on it. He’s also produced some more poops. I will be going to work at 4am so I will have my gf keep me updated up until 9am tomorrow. Am I “close” to being out of the woods being that all of this will have happened 48 hours ago as of tomorrow morning?

Not losing a drastic amount isn’t necessary a good sign. You’re looking for consistency weight loss.

Just keep an eye on him and see how he fairs.

Not losing a drastic amount isn’t necessary a good sign. You’re looking for consistency weight loss.

Just keep an eye on him and see how he fairs.

As of yesterday he’s sitting at about 978 compared to Saturday’s 1000. From 1000 he’s only been REDUCING about 10gs a day or so,I know it’s not a dramatic weight loss but I am starting to worry as he is after the other guineas poop to the point of harassment,this is a sign his gut flora is off correct? He is eating and drinking fine,poops are getting better it seems but he will constantly harass the other guinea and be under his butt,it’s been going on for about 3 days now and I know this because J Rod (other guinea) has been making complaining noises and I kept trying to figure out why,J Rod would only complain in the igloo but neither guinea seemed to get into any aggression or fights but I caught Hazel yesterday doing it to the point where if I was J Rod I would get a restraining order lol. The vet said X Rays arent probably necessary since I last talked to them since he’s eating and drinking but I’m thinking of getting Hazel probiotics at the very very least. Any advice would be great

(I’m just going to copy and paste so I save time explaining)
As of yesterday he’s sitting at about 978 compared to Saturday’s 1000,1000 has only been REDUCING since then,I know it’s not a dramatic weight loss but I am starting to worry as he is after the other guineas poop to the point of harassment,this is a sign his gut flora is off correct? He is eating and drinking fine,poops are getting better it seems but he will constantly harass the other guinea and be under his butt,it’s been going on for about 3 days now and I know this because J Rod (other guinea) has been making complaining noises and I kept trying to figure out why,J Rod would only complain in the igloo but neither guinea seemed to get into any aggression or fights but I caught Hazel yesterday doing it to the point where if I was J Rod I would get a restraining order lol. The vet said X Rays arent probably necessary since I last talked to them since he’s eating and drinking but I’m thinking of getting Hazel probiotics at the very very least. Any advice would be great

Back