• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Attacking Sows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I came down this morning to find Maisy and Poppy squeaking, heads raised, grumbling, following one another for a few seconds then biting thier bums! Then Maisy attacks and leaps on top of Poppy! Is this normal?

No, just sit it out. Other sows are generally a lot more tolerant of these mad excesses that you'd expect and you girls will be reaffirming their bond afterwards with some cuddles.

Should I interfere and take like Poppy out? They are inside in a 100cm long cage. Yes, I know it's small but I am not really meant to keep them inside!:shh:

Last edited:
you don't have to separate them, this happens when they're in heat, you could give poppy a break and take her out for lap time for a while if you like, but they'll be fine. It's very tempting to chase the piggy in season away when they're being wee swines, lol, but soon it will be poppy's time to be in heat and will get her payback ;) lol

you don't have to separate them, this happens when they're in heat, you could give poppy a break and take her out for lap time for a while if you like, but they'll be fine. It's very tempting to chase the piggy in season away when they're being wee swines, lol, but soon it will be poppy's time to be in heat and will get her payback ;) lol
Ha, Ha! I think Poppy was in season a few months ago but I didn't really notice!

haha, I THINK they go into season every 2-3 weeks and lasts 1-2 days where they storming about their cage rumble strutting and acting like little furry dominatrixes, lol

Sounds like she is in heat... it happens every 2 weeks or so and lasts a day or two. Then things will return to normal. Sometimes they will be particularly hormonal and you'll notice it more. Out of my pigs, Frenzy had the worst 'PMS' of any of them. She was normally very meek and skittish, but during those couple days out of the month, she was a total amazon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back