• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Attention Fungal Experts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellbell

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm looking for as much information I can about the fungal!
I have done a bit of research on the internet but also want advice on here from people who have actually delt with it.
I have had two cases of it. First, I rescued a GP with a nasty case. Uses Malaseb and then spots of Canasten cream on ears and feet where it was bad. She ended up dying from a complicate operation. Non related.
Now I have a new GP who had such a bad case of it when she was little she almost died from it. All her hair has grown back. And didn't show Any signs of any fungal when I got her till now. She has spots of it on her feet and ears.
I have washed her and her 2 cage buddies in Malaseb. Her 2 cage buddies have never shown any signs of any illness but treating them as they have been in contact. She seems to of had a reaction to a gorgeous guineas fungal cream or Canasten as I used both over a few days so I'm no longer using creams.
I purchased Imaverol to use as a dip once a week for about 3 weeks.
Waiting for it to come in the mail.
I have washed everything and anything I and they own in vinegar and boiling water.
Chucked all wooden tunnels out.
Am I missing anything? She's very under weight so I'm hoping she will become less likely to get fungal when she has a better ammune system.
Is there a food or tablet to prevent fungal? (Have heard water preventatives don't work)
Is there something else I can do to never ever have to see fungals ugly face again?
I never want her to go through it again.

The only thing that isn't on your list is F10SC disinfectant, which kills fungal spores and bacteria and is used by vets, although I would have thought the vinegar and boiling water will probably have done the trick. The trouble with fungal is that it can come in on the hay, so get the best quality you can afford. Regular baths (every couple of months) with Malaseb is a good idea, but I wouldn't go for any oral meds for prevention as they are all strong stuff, not something you'd want to be giving regularly. Trust me, the Imaverol is brilliant stuff, and you are catching it early. None of the pigs I have had to treat with it have had a recurrance of fungal (so far, touch wood).

I second the Imaverol and F10 recommendations.

Oral treatment should be reserved for further down the line if for some reason the Imaverol does not clear it up. I had a case where my whole herd were affected and I did use oral fungal meds then.

F10 is being imported to Australia; I have checked - it is a disinfectant that is used in vet clinics. Guinea Lynx also recommends LD disinfectant as a new product. As with any fungal, disinfecting everything thoroughly can prevent the spread and reoccurrance. Fungal spores are around in the environment; they are more prolific and thrive in warm weather. Neglected guinea pigs have a lowered immune system/higher exposure and are generally not as good to fend off any fungal (or other opportunists like mange mites or respiratory bacteria).
http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/F10D#.VNdf_y4RSUk

I also second the imaverol. It can be used every three days in acute cases. Make sure that every bit of skin on the whole body is covered (if necessary by using a syringe or a cotton but to get at difficult to reach or delicate parts like around the eyes, ears or mouth). Let it dry on the skin. Repeat as long as there are signs of acute fungal plus one. The shortest is 3 applications but depending on the severity it may take more rounds. Follow the instructions on the product as to dilution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back