• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Aubichick/Aubiose how safe?

anyar.dris

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I just started using the Aubichick I ordered as bedding for the piggies hutch. It's very fine cut like almost sawdust. It's very soft though. Now when I gave my piggies their fruit bowl, the ones they drop on the Aubichick obviously would be covered with it. The piggies started eating it even with Aubichick. Now how safe is hemp bedding in cases like this? Would it harm them? They mainly sleep in the 2-flr hutch and they only go down to the attached run on the floor with fleece when they wake up in the morning, so I can't really leave their bowl down there. My piggies rarely drink from the bottle so they have cucumber slices in the bowl for the night.

I use the aubichick stuff so will follow this if that’s ok. I am sure someone here recommended it to me

I don’t know about the chick stuff, but I use the horse version Aubiose and it’s great. It does stick to wetter veg but the pigs seem to be able to avoid it as the bits are larger.
It is just plant based, so maybe it’s just extra fibre? Not really sure I’m afraid!

i have used aubichick but found it not to be a firm bed,it acted like sand.it is best to use aubiose as a 1st layer then add aubichick.also it gets into parts of the body you would not expect !

Haha, I haven’t had that issue, but I have girls rather than boars. Have said that, I have found Aubiose in my knickers!

I think aubiose is soft enough without an extra layer; none of mine have any issues with their feet etc. I also don’t throw all of it away each week, I just turn it over and remove the wet bits, which would make separate layers of similar bedding virtually impossible

I have one boar, Prince, and two sows, Cookie & Sierra. Yeah, the bits get stuck in Prince's bits but I can easily remove it. It gets on their fur too but it can easily be removed. I do think that it's a nice bedding enough and it's been 3 days and I haven't changed it yet. It's not wet enough, unlike when I use paper bedding which I have to replace every 2 or 3 days. But I do smell some damp scent where they sleep at night so I would replace that tomorrow.

My worry is just about the hemp sticking on their food, i.e. cucumber and melon, and the piggies eating the food with it. I hope it doesn't harm them in case they eat some.

aubiose pieces are much bigger than aubichick,but aubichick is very soft ! maybe place veg in a non tip bowl ?it is a very absorbent bedding.

aubiose pieces are much bigger than aubichick,but aubichick is very soft ! maybe place veg in a non tip bowl ?it is a very absorbent bedding.
The piggies don't tip the bowl. They pick the food up from the bowl, drop it, then pick a new one from the bowl. Then pick whatever they drop and decide they want that instead. So on and so forth. Fussy piggies! :doh:

Well I decided to just put the aubichick where they sleep and have some wood shavings where they eat for the meantime, until I can find a better solution. Yes, I noticed too that the aubichick is very absorbent.

Aubiose is a good piggy bedding, I used to use it when I first got piggies. Not economical if you have lots, but for a few its a good bedding.

Back