• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Babs has a huge bald spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Babs was absolutely fine yesterday and I gave her a good inspection whilst I was giving her her medication. Anyway, today I was cleaning out their cage and when I went to put her back in I realised she has a huge bald patch on her back. There is no sign of mites or fungal and there was no loose hair. Also the skin doesn't look pink or inflammed. I suspect Betty might have barbered her over night. I'm surprised at how big the bald patch is. Poor Babs. Why would Betty do this? Boredom?

Barbering is often caused by lack of fibre in the diet,provide loads of good quality hay,also offer dried grass.They love this and it is almost as high in fibre as hay.Another cause of barbering can be a dental problem,or a sore in the mouth.Have a good look in her mouth. Mary

I've never met a barbering pig that has barbered right down to the skin. I have had two "barbers" and both of them only trimmed the hair rather than plucked it.

I would look in to getting treated for mites. Hormonal issues are also a possibility.

I'd be thinking of mites too. It would be very unusual for another guinea pig to barber so specifically.

Barbara

daftscotslass said:
I've never met a barbering pig that has barbered right down to the skin. I have had two "barbers" and both of them only trimmed the hair rather than plucked it.

I would look in to getting treated for mites. Hormonal issues are also a possibility.

some of mine have had their hair plucked rather then chewed also in patches, seems more common in girls as I said on another barbaring posting jinx has also pulled his fur out in 2 patches one on his hip of his paralised leg which he is now using a little and one on his back near the hip of the same leg, both me and my vet agree its a reaction to nerve responses coming back to his leg, I know this to be true as i have nerve/ muscle probs in my rigfht arm and often rub or scratch the tingling reaction

Hi

I showed Babs to vet on Friday as she was in for a check-up anyway re: her bladder issues. He was pretty sure that she had been barbered as there were quite a lot of strands that had been broken off rather than pulled out completely. Betty has been quite stroppy over the last few days (rumbling and being very snappy) so I wonder if it is her pulling out Babs' hair. I can't imagine Babs letting Boris get close enough to do any hair plucking!

They normally have lots of fresh hay to eat but I may try the dried grass suggestion and also have a look at Betty's teeth. Although maybe she is trying to move up the pecking order as she knows Babs has been unwell?

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back