• This weekend was forum pride! We hope you had a great time, the section will remain open to read over the information threads, so dont worry if you missed last night. Visit the section HERE

Baby, new companion and mites

Katsycakes

New Born Pup
Reaction score
After Patch’s little nap there was a bit more rumbling and lunging from Bramble when she got annoyed, but nothing too serious. Is there a clear point where it’s safe to put them together in a clean cage? I think Bramble is currently napping alone in the corner so I’m hoping that’s a good sign!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Ok
If you’re unsure on whether things are ok, then it’s better to leave them longer than rush it. If they’ve had nap together and there hasn’t been any trouble since, then you could probably move them, but there isn’t really any rush.
Don’t forget the full process of establishing their relationship takes two weeks so you will continue to see dominance

Katsycakes

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Yep was definitely too hasty. Lots of teeth chattering and rumbling from Bramble and just saw them chinning up to each other, but they both startled when I picked up the towel.

Just as I was typing that Patch tried to get close again, lots of submission squealing from Patch and a LOT of teeth chattering from Bramble and she lunged several times.

This is so hard to watch. Seems like aggression levels are increasing with time rather than decreasing. Ready to separate if it starts getting too violent but still hoping for the best...

Katsycakes

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Last few interactions have been less aggressive thankfully, just a bit of teeth chattering, but Bramble’s really shown no interest in Patch at all and is just hiding in a corner.

Katsycakes

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Were both cleaning themselves beside each other then back to lunging and teeth chattering. Feels like one step forward one step back.

Katsycakes

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you so much for checking in! We made the decision to give little Bramble a break to settle in for a night or two. Poor thing was absolutely terrified and spent the whole 5 hours hiding in the corner while Patch repeatedly approached her.

Maybe that was the wrong thing to do, as I know the guide says to let it play out but I’m hoping she might be more amenable to bonding when she’s not so scared.

Patch has spent the last hour asleep out in the open in her cage, croissant style with her eyes closed. Meeting new friends is clearly exhausting.

For us humans too. Didn’t expect today to be quite as emotionally draining as it’s been, definitely missing our little Waffle extra hard today.

Really grateful to everyone here for being a wonderful listening ear and doling out infinite piggie wisdom!

Katsycakes

New Born Pup
Reaction score
As an update, sadly they're not a match. We let Bramble settle in for a few days and she came out of her shell quite a bit and stopped rumbling at every small noise, and they showed a lot of interest in each other through the bars. We tried to bond them again this morning and within about 5 minutes there was flying lunges, teeth chattering, a LOT of rumbling and strutting and all the danger signs in the guide from both sides. Considering Patch is maybe half her size, she definitely wasn't interested in backing down to Bramble.

Very sad as we'd enjoyed getting to know Bramble and helping her get comfortable and loved her VERY LOUD wheeking and popcorning when it's time for fresh hay, but unfortunately we don't have the space to keep two pairs, so as agreed she'll have to go back to the rescue this weekend, where hopefully she'll find a home with a more suitable friend.

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hello. That's so sad the bonding has not worked . . Especially all the time love and effort you put into it.
Course the welfare of the piggies come 1st.
So sad as you say. . Naught piggies eh. :nod: