• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Baby Piggie and Congested Nasal Sounds

Gpigwheeklyuk

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone! So we recently added a new baby pig to our family she's around 9 weeks old now. Upon bringing her home we noticed she looked abit squinty ( assuming tired and abit worn out from being brought to a new home) but also noticed she had boogers around her nose a little later on. I took her to the vets and they advised me to give her bisolvon , metacam and baytril to combat a possible nasal infection. Being a baby the vet said her immune system is low and can take some time to build up against infections like this. However if it doesn't go she could also have an allergy that irritates her nose?

Does anybody have any experience with piggies and allergies? She's about half a week into her medicine now and though her booger's aren't green anymore but clear discharge she's still a bit nasally . I did move her onto fleece bedding temporarily but it didnt seems to make a huge difference to her sniffles. Many thanks!

Did they say a nasal infection or possible beginnings of a URI? I don’t have any experience or knowledge with allergies in piggies. I’ll tag @Wiebke @Piggies&buns @PigglePuggle

Is she bonded with your other piggies or living alone? At that age it’s important to be living with others so you can forego quarantine and just bond her (neutral area) to your current piggies. It’s piggy school where they learn how to be piggies and how they behave towards others.

The vet said listening to her chest it sounds like the nose was coming strictly from her nose not her lungs but in any case the baytril would help both and so advised a course of antibiotics and Metacam with bisolvon for a decongestant. She is bonded to two other piggies now yes a 2 year old calm piggie and her sister whose 9 weeks old also but not sick as they all had check overs when it took them to the vet.

Another small note shes very active, popcorning, eating well and gaining weight . The only thing I initially noticed was her poops were thin and a little dry making me see she was abit dehydrated compared to her sister but hand feeds , cucumber and water sorted that out.

QUOTE="Siikibam, post: 2494948, member: 125992"]
Did they say a nasal infection or possible beginnings of a URI? I don’t have any experience or knowledge with allergies in piggies. I’ll tag @Wiebke @Piggies&buns @PigglePuggle

Is she bonded with your other piggies or living alone? At that age it’s important to be living with others so you can forego quarantine and just bond her (neutral area) to your current piggies. It’s piggy school where they learn how to be piggies and how they behave towards others.
[/QUOTE]

Hi! We also currently have a piggy taking bisolvon, baytril and metacam for a suspected respiratory infection, this is a good combination of medicines- baytril is an antibiotic, bisolvon is a decongestant, and metacam is anti-inflammatory pain relief.
It may take a full week for the baytril to clear any infection, the other medicines will relieve the symptoms.
Respiratory infections can affect the nose, throat or lungs, and can also cause sticky eyes- if the lungs sound clear this is a good sign that any potential infection has been caught nice and early.
As for allergies, like for human allergies its a much less well defined area of veterinary medicine and research. You should avoid any potential irritants in your home like perfumes, scented air fresheners or candles, scented cleaning products, ensure your piggy room is well ventilated and not too hot and dry/ cold and damp, and make sure any bedding or hay are dust extracted. Fleece is a good option for bedding, but you'd need to try this for a month or so to see any definite effect on easing allergy related breathing issues.
All piggies have narrow and sensitive nasal passages so can be rather prone to respiratory symptoms- from occasional sneezes to recurring URIs.
Best of luck, start by treating the suspected infection then if things dont improve consult the vet again but also work to identify and eliminate any possible environmental factors!

Hello thanks for writing back! Yep as for allergies we don't use any of those things and our cleaning products are pet safe ones ( pets are kept away from any cleaned areas anyway so no worries there). I'll keep her on the fleece and see how she goes. I spoke with the lady who had her before but if I have no luck I'll nip back to the vet to be safe. Thank you!

Hi! We also currently have a piggy taking bisolvon, baytril and metacam for a suspected respiratory infection, this is a good combination of medicines- baytril is an antibiotic, bisolvon is a decongestant, and metacam is anti-inflammatory pain relief.
It may take a full week for the baytril to clear any infection, the other medicines will relieve the symptoms.
Respiratory infections can affect the nose, throat or lungs, and can also cause sticky eyes- if the lungs sound clear this is a good sign that any potential infection has been caught nice and early.
As for allergies, like for human allergies its a much less well defined area of veterinary medicine and research. You should avoid any potential irritants in your home like perfumes, scented air fresheners or candles, scented cleaning products, ensure your piggy room is well ventilated and not too hot and dry/ cold and damp, and make sure any bedding or hay are dust extracted. Fleece is a good option for bedding, but you'd need to try this for a month or so to see any definite effect on easing allergy related breathing issues.
All piggies have narrow and sensitive nasal passages so can be rather prone to respiratory symptoms- from occasional sneezes to recurring URIs.
Best of luck, start by treating the suspected infection then if things dont improve consult the vet again but also work to identify and eliminate any possible environmental factors!

Not got any further advice, but we’re in a very similar situation at the moment, with similar aged piggies. 4 days into the Baytril, and I think they’ve stopped sneezing as much. They’re both very happy, and seem to be eating well and gaining weight, so hopefully it’s all working!

Back