• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Baby piggie eating poop

Reggie&Chunk

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Didn’t know how best to phrase it for a title, as eating poop isn’t too much of an issue but it’s causing problems for Chunk!

Monty is 3 weeks old and has been bonded with Chunk who is around 5 years old. I have seen him nuzzling around Chunks bottom, assuming to get poop. I’ve had a look at Chunks bottom and it looks red, sore and irritated. Is there anything I can do to help?

A50AE446-9543-41B5-B817-F8987C725FEA.jpeg

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If his rear looks sore and red please take him to the vet for a check. There’s nothing we can recommend, and we don’t support home treatment. Let us know how he gets on.

PS your boars are sooo cute! And Monty is sooo small!

Reggie&Chunk

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ll give Kim a call in the morning 😊 It doesn’t look swollen, looks like Monty has been licking/nibbling and made it sore.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll give Kim a call in the morning 😊 It doesn’t look swollen, looks like Monty has been licking/nibbling and made it sore.
It is difficult to say whether it is Monty's doing or whether he actually is more likely licking the sore area in an attempt to help heal it and to convey his care. Guinea pigs do this with their mates and have often alerted me to a problem that way.

Please have him vet checked.

Posyrose

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Didn’t know how best to phrase it for a title, as eating poop isn’t too much of an issue but it’s causing problems for Chunk!

Monty is 3 weeks old and has been bonded with Chunk who is around 5 years old. I have seen him nuzzling around Chunks bottom, assuming to get poop. I’ve had a look at Chunks bottom and it looks red, sore and irritated. Is there anything I can do to help?

Such a cute picture.

I hope that you get to the bottom of the problem soon