• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Baby sow fighting

Maxyandgrinchy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi

I have two sow guinea pigs that are around 13 weeks old now. They are sisters and have not been separated since birth.

I bought them home on the first day you are allowed to and they got on really well, and took comfort in one another by initially sharing a hiding spot while they settled.

However, over the past couple of days they have been shaking their bums at one another and vibrating while doing so. Not so much viciously showing teeth, but they have nipped each other a couple of times - nothing serious enough to cut.

I am in the process of making an outside hutch house with attached run for them to be in full time, so they have more room, but they have a double cage that is over a metre long and are still only small.

They have two of everything and used to get on really well, but over the past week or two they don’t even do that together. They snatch treats of each other too (have done that since I’ve had them), but as they are getting bigger it appears more motivated for dominance.

It would be good to have a little bit of advice and see whether this behaviour is something that is likely to eventually settle down.

Welcome. I agree with @Piggies&buns that this is probably normal teen sow behaviour. If they have a particularly strong season (as can happen in their teens) then it can get a bit lively.

Back