• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Baby vs Mum Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My sow has had 3 young boars and they are only 4 weeks of age i understand at 6 weeks they can be offically seperated but it's getting too much! I dont want to split them up too early but they are getting very aggressive, they rumblestrut, raise their hackles, teeth chatter and huff at eachother including teeth displays, even mum is getting involved now, they end up getting so bad they pounce on eachother and gang up on mum sometimes too. It's stressing them all out especially mum do you think i will have to seperate them from mum now? I just think it may be too early?
Do i keep them in there or take mum out? Any help appreciated!

Baby Boars are separated at 3 weeks, so I would separate mum now, as she can get caught by her boys again.

Hi there

Generally baby boys are taken out after three weeks of age - as long as they have reached 250g and are showing too much interest in mum and sisters.

HTH

Suzy x

Definitely take mum out. The boys can be fertile from 3 weeks which is when most people on the forum take boys out. Hopefully the boys can stay together as with mum out the way they won't be fighting over her.

Thanks everyone, i read in a care book they are weaned at 4 weeks i thought they had to stay in with mum through that phase and then seperated but i trust what you all say so i will do that instead! Thankyou!

Yeah separating at 4 weeks should be fine :) I doubt the mum would be pregnant by them yet anyway, but best to separate them now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back