Back teeth problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My guinea who is nearly 7 is having trouble eating. He's had a few problems with his teeth in his later years and only approx 9 months ago he had to be sedated to have his back teeth cut/ rasped. I'm very reluctant to let him be anaesthetised to have this done again. He's eating but is struggling. He has a constant supply of dried food, fresh twice a day and hay. We've given him all sorts of chews but he never touches them. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I can give him to wear his back teeth down? Also has anyone ever managed to have their pigs back teeth done without being sedated? Thanks

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, if you could give your location there maybe a vet that could be recommended as there are some able to give dental treatment without using GA.

Suzy

CandyFloss

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
My piggy, Toffee, has had her back teeth done without GA. I think it depends on the pig and also the vet....
Maybe someone will know of a vet that is willing to do this near you ?
Best of luck
x

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
contrary to the above post rodentologists are often the best alternative when there isn't a guinea savvy vet available. They are trained by Vedra at the Cambridge cavy trust and training includes being able to look at the back teeth without GA.
I'm afraid i dont know vets in Preston but if you got in touch with Becklen guinea pig rescue they may know? Otherwise Laura at guinea pig helpline may have the name of a savvy vet or trusted rodentologist up there. Unfortunately teeth grow very quickly so you Will need to get your boy looked at asap. Meanwhile syringe feed and give0.2ml oral daktarin for potential fungal mouth which often causes soreness x

Status
Not open for further replies.