• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Back to the vet for Winston

ricear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
United States of America (South Carolina)
Well, it’s back to the vet again today for my little Winston. It appears he has an eye injury to his eyelid. Please send good thoughts as I am a nervous wreck. I don’t want my little pigg to go blind or anything. I’m so worried about him.

Well, it’s back to the vet again today for my little Winston. It appears he has an eye injury to his eyelid. Please send good thoughts as I am a nervous wreck. I don’t want my little pigg to go blind or anything. I’m so worried about him.

Hi!

Take a deep breath! It is highly unlikely that he will go blind from a problem with the eyelid - that is like you will loose your arm because you have a tear in your sleeve. Keep telling yourself that and keep on concentrating on sending Winston healing thoughts or do virtual piggy cuddles to calm yourself down as a Mindfulness exercise. ;)

With the right medication he will hopefully heal quickly. Guinea pigs are quick healers, you know! :tu:

T
Hi!

Take a deep breath! It is highly unlikely that he will go blind from a problem with the eyelid - that is like you will loose your arm because you have a tear in your sleeve. Keep telling yourself that and keep on concentrating on sending Winston healing thoughts or do virtual piggy cuddles to calm yourself down as a Mindfulness exercise. ;)

With the right medication he will hopefully heal quickly. Guinea pigs are quick healers, you know! :tu:
Thank you! I’m just very very nervous because this happened quickly

T

Thank you! I’m just very very nervous because this happened quickly

Eye problems always happen quickly - but thankfully they also tend to heal quickly if you have them seen promptly. ;)

Eye problems always happen quickly - but thankfully they also tend to heal quickly if you have them seen promptly. ;)
They just took him back and going to make sure there isn’t an ulcer on his eyeball. Then going to prescribe some medicine for him. I can’t go back with him, because of covid, so I’m trying not to be too worried as I wait on him

If he does have an ulcer they will probably prescribe eye drops either 2 or 3 times daily. It'll soon heal.

UPDATE: it’s an ulcer probably from a hay poke. Eye drops and pain meds will be the routine. Betsy must be psychic!

UPDATE: it’s an ulcer probably from a hay poke. Eye drops and pain meds will be the routine. Betsy must be psychic!
I have had piggies with many a haypoke over the last 4 years! Meg had such a bad haypoke it took 5 weeks to heal with 3 lots of eyedrops 3 times a day back in May. :yikes:

I'm glad he's feeling better! Such a handsome boy!

Hi all! Last week, the vet diagnosed Winston with an ulcer in the eye from a hay poke. After 7 days on eye drops, we have a follow up today. Things look MUCH better, and as per the piggture, Winston looks more confident 😉
No more ulcer! We are so happy that this healed quickly. And in honor of this news, we ordered a brand new hay feed that stands up vertically so that hopefully (🤞🏻) no one pokes themselves in the eye...again

Back