• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bad IC Following Bereavement.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Iggy’s urinary problems are much worse today, worse than it’s been in a long time. I think it could be with all the stress he’s had in the last 24 hours with losing Cissy :(

He’s on metacam and glucosamine for it currently but I don’t think it’s helping much. Is there anything I can do for him to relieve his stress and pain? Would calming products help? It’s breaking my heart hearing him shriek in pain, especially after everything :(

Iggy’s urinary problems are much worse today, worse than it’s been in a long time. I think it could be with all the stress he’s had in the last 24 hours with losing Cissy :(

He’s on metacam and glucosamine for it currently but I don’t think it’s helping much. Is there anything I can do for him to relieve his stress and pain? Would calming products help? It’s breaking my heart hearing him shriek in pain, especially after everything :(

Hi!

Please up his metacam as much as you safely can, double the glucosamine to 1 capsule of cystease instead of half (or the equivalent of it) and ask your vet for some sulfatrim to help cap the worst of it. While an antibiotic cannot heal a sterile interstitial cystitis, it can often help bringing a particularly strong episode down to a more bearable level.

I would be personally very wary of using calming products that are not tested and licensed for guinea pigs on spec. Rodents have a different metabolism to humans and predators!

The loss of a companion can unfortunately make existing health issues worse and trigger underlying problems.

Hi!

Please up his metacam as much as you safely can, double the glucosamine to 1 capsule of cystease instead of half (or the equivalent of it) and ask your vet for some sulfatrim to help cap the worst of it. While an antibiotic cannot heal a sterile interstitial cystitis, it can often help bringing a particularly strong episode down to a more bearable level.

I would be personally very wary of using calming products that are not tested and licensed for guinea pigs on spec. Rodents have a different metabolism to humans and predators!

The loss of a companion can unfortunately make existing health issues worse and trigger underlying problems.
Thank you! He’s currently on 0.4ml twice daily and weights 1kg, do you know what I could up it to?

We have co-trimoxazole currently, would that work?

Yes of course, I’ve used a spray called Pet Remedy previously (not sprayed in the room but on a piece of fleece aired out placed on cage) but idk if it would help here.

Yes I’m trying to keep a good eye, I’m worried with what’s grieving and what’s illness and I’m frightened of losing anyone else.

Just wanted to offer support- holding you in my thoughts
Thank you, I appreciate it. It’s honestly the roughest few weeks of my life so far.

Thank you! He’s currently on 0.4ml twice daily and weights 1kg, do you know what I could up it to?

We have co-trimoxazole currently, would that work?

Yes of course, I’ve used a spray called Pet Remedy previously (not sprayed in the room but on a piece of fleece aired out placed on cage) but idk if it would help here.

Yes I’m trying to keep a good eye, I’m worried with what’s grieving and what’s illness and I’m frightened of losing anyone else.

Thank you, I appreciate it. It’s honestly the roughest few weeks of my life so far.

HUGS

There are sometimes period when everything that can go wrong is going wrong. Unfortunately, your metacam dosage is already maxed out. I would consider trying an antibiotic temporarily to bring the symptoms down to a more bearable.

Sending lots of love from me and my lot, Ebonys also got so much worse after Treacle passed, then with the addition of 2 new friends not even 12 hours later because she stopped moving and eating, it was quite a stressful day for her. What has helped with her was to syringe her fluids to flush out the bladder, not sure if that would help in your situation but it's made the world of difference here where her painkillers were doing nothing. She's currently getting 60ml throughout the day, any less and the pain returns.

HUGS

There are sometimes period when everything that can go wrong is going wrong. Unfortunately, your metacam dosage is already maxed out. I would consider trying an antibiotic temporarily to bring the symptoms down to a more bearable.
Thank you, I’ll do that and keep my fingers crossed.

Sending lots of love from me and my lot, Ebonys also got so much worse after Treacle passed, then with the addition of 2 new friends not even 12 hours later because she stopped moving and eating, it was quite a stressful day for her. What has helped with her was to syringe her fluids to flush out the bladder, not sure if that would help in your situation but it's made the world of difference here where her painkillers were doing nothing. She's currently getting 60ml throughout the day, any less and the pain returns.
That’s really helpful thank you, I’ll give it a try. He doesn’t really drink a lot so that makes sense, I need a bigger syringe!

Dog, we don’t bother with the cat one as it’s weaker, in a smaller bottle and £25 more than the dog!
Definitely - thought it was worth checking . As Wiebke has already said 0.4 ml of dog Metacam twice daily is the maximum dose for a 1kg guinea pig.

What about his diet - what veggies are you feeding ?

I have found that when Lucy has a flare up I need to start syringing fluids too.
She gets a very dilute solution of pure cranberry juice mixed with filtered water which seems to help (and she takes it willingly too which is nice).

Sending huge hugs to you and poor Iggy. I know there are worse problems, but I really think IC flares are awful.

Definitely - thought it was worth checking . As Wiebke has already said 0.4 ml of dog Metacam twice daily is the maximum dose for a 1kg guinea pig.

What about his diet - what veggies are you feeding ?
At the moment we’re trying various things out, tonight they had chard, some mixed leaves (no spinach) a bit of watermelon and basil. They’ve currently gone off pepper which is rather frustrating.

I have found that when Lucy has a flare up I need to start syringing fluids too.
She gets a very dilute solution of pure cranberry juice mixed with filtered water which seems to help (and she takes it willingly too which is nice).

Sending huge hugs to you and poor Iggy. I know there are worse problems, but I really think IC flares are awful.
Thank you, yes we tried some d-mannose (the active ingredient in cranberry juice) but sadly it didn’t seem to help, I’m guessing as there’s no bacteria in there.

It really is, trying to find a way to treat it is baffling. It’s really bad today because of all the stress and I don’t know how to relieve it.

At the moment we’re trying various things out, tonight they had chard, some mixed leaves (no spinach) a bit of watermelon and basil. They’ve currently gone off pepper which is rather frustrating.
there's mixed views about diet - we used to talk about the IC diet on this forum quite a bit , so , it may be worth looking at some old threads .
How about trying a sprig of coriander or dill .

there's mixed views about diet - we used to talk about the IC diet on this forum quite a bit , so , it may be worth looking at some old threads .
How about trying a sprig of coriander or dill .
Yea I’ve had a look before but need to go through properly! Coriander they’ve gone off of sadly but dill they love. Had it a few days ago actually!

Just downloaded a chart I’m going to give a go from another thread as well.

@Jaycey I’ve just received the cystassist today and was just wondering how you dosed it? I have been using vegan glucosamine crushed and mixed with water but that hasn’t really helped.

I was wondering how to mix it, what dose to give during a bad flare up and how much for long term use? Thank you for your help :)

Sending lots of healing vibes. My Ellen has IC and is prescribed septrin when she has a bad flare. I know how upsetting it is when they cry in pain :( Thankfully Ellen’s IC is on the mild side but I still feel bad for her

Sending lots of healing vibes. My Ellen has IC and is prescribed septrin when she has a bad flare. I know how upsetting it is when they cry in pain :( Thankfully Ellen’s IC is on the mild side but I still feel bad for her
Thank you, yes it’s horrible :( Iggy’s normally not too bad but since losing Cissy it’s much worse :( I think the antibiotic has helped a bit, I think Simon prescribed septrin which really helped but I can’t seem to get it from my vets. I hate hearing him in pain :(

Thank you, yes it’s horrible :( Iggy’s normally not too bad but since losing Cissy it’s much worse :( I think the antibiotic has helped a bit, I think Simon prescribed septrin which really helped but I can’t seem to get it from my vets. I hate hearing him in pain :(

If your vet can’t get hold of septrin or the one that Wiebke mentioned which is just the adult version (sadly it doesn’t smell or taste like bananas) then baytril will do just to take the edge off.

I’m sorry he’s having a bad flare. Ellen has one on Christmas Day but thankfully I had septrin already in so could start her on treatment straight away before I could get her to the vet (I have permission to do this from my vet). It really is heartbreaking

Back