• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bad leg

Mytoystorypiggies

Reaction score
Hello, earlier today our guinea pig tried jumping and ended up falling and landing on his leg. He got up straight away and seemed fine but he has started limping a little and making some noise when he try’s laying on that side. I have compared it to the other back leg and there’s no swelling and it all moves completely normal like the other leg. Would anyone have any advice as my parents will not go to the vets for it but want to make sure he is okay. He is still running around his cage and popcorning , and is still trying to climb up me when I am sat down.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
He needs a vet. Your parents have a duty to provide vet care when it is needed. He is clearly experiencing some pain and discomfort so will likely need anti-inflammatory pain killers

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, earlier today our guinea pig tried jumping and ended up falling and landing on his leg. He got up straight away and seemed fine but he has started limping a little and making some noise when he try’s laying on that side. I have compared it to the other back leg and there’s no swelling and it all moves completely normal like the other leg. Would anyone have any advice as my parents will not go to the vets for it but want to make sure he is okay. He is still running around his cage and popcorning , and is still trying to climb up me when I am sat down.
Please be aware that A piggy can receive a sprain or injury at any part of the leg from the shoulder/hip downwards. When they limping, the problem is not necessarily located in the foot itself.

Your boy sounds in pain and should ideally be vet checked.
A guide to vets fees, insurance and payment support.

Please make sure that you prevent your boy from making freak jumps in the future. They are prey animals with sharp sight only for a foot or two; after that they will react only to sudden movements. Unlike cats, they cannot see where they are going to land and are therefore prone to injure themselves.

Please take the time to read these guide links below to understand the various prey animal instincts, how you can work around them and watch a video on how you can pick up and carry a guinea pig safely.
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites