• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bad week :(

Incredipigs

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So had a bad week,
Last weekend I lost one of my piggies, Lacey. She was absolutely fine in the evening and the next morning she was almost lifeless and had very bad diarrhea, which she didn't have the night before. We brought her inside and kept her warm, syringe fed her mushy pellets and water, booked her in at the vets. But she suddenly passed away about 15 mins before her appointment. I was heartbroken.
Then yesterday I was at a party til about 9pm, I got home and went out to feed the pigs, I put there food in and my oldest piggie Maddie was sitting with her feet on my knee, I stroked her head, slightly unusual but I didn't think anything of it so I put her next to the food and she was eating fine, I did a quick pig count and noticed one was missing (usually one of the babies hides in the run so again, thought nothing of it) Went into the run and I could see this white thing in the middle of the run, at first I though it was this guinea pig teddy that for some reason ended up in the run, I was looking at it for a minute and picked it up only to realise it was one of my little white fluffy rescue babies, Petal. I rushed her inside and put her on a heat pad because she was cold but she was already doing the running thing. I sat up till 1 in the morning massaging her little heart but eventually I had to stop. I have absolutely no idea what happened, she was fine in the morning when I checked them. She had no diarrhea or anything. I was again heartbroken and couldn't believe I'd lost two piggies very unexpectedly in a week.
Went out this morning to check them and Maddie had died. It was so sad cause I feel like she was trying to tell me last night. Like Petal she had no diarrhea, they both looked healthy, were both a healthy weight. No idea what happened. 3 piggies in a week.
Gave them all a health check and with today and noticed baby Disney has ringworm so brought her inside away from the other guineas and going to give them all a bath tomorrow. Really hoping it doesn't spread through the whole herd like it did last summer.
A very bad week :(

I am so sorry for your loss.... heart breaking too loose 3 piggies in such a short space .. xx

I’m very sorry for your losses.

I’m afraid when you keep a large herd outdoors it can be difficult to monitor all of their health individually and they are good at hiding illnesses. Also, in a herd it is very easy for an illness to pass from piggy to piggy very quickly. Do you have any way of removing all the piggies from their playhouse, doing a full deep clean with F10 and keeping them indoors in smaller groups to monitor their health before putting them all back together again?

I’m afraid when you keep a large herd outdoors it can be difficult to monitor all of their health individually and they are good at hiding illnesses. Also, in a herd it is very easy for an illness to pass from piggy to piggy very quickly. Do you have any way of removing all the piggies from their playhouse, doing a full deep clean with F10 and keeping them indoors in smaller groups to monitor their health before putting them all back together again?

Put them all out into their run this morning and thoroughly cleaned the Pig house with jeys fluid. Unfortunately I can't bring them inside but I'm health checking them all twice a day.

Oh I am so sorry for you losses. You are having a really bad week.

Fingers crossed that you will not have a spread of ringworm. Hope you have a better week this week.

I’m so sorry you have lost three of your little piggies
Sleep tight Lacey, Madrid and Petal x

I am so very, very sorry that you have lost 3 piggies within a week.
That is devastating.
Coping with ringworm on top of all that makes "A Bad Week" sound like an understatement.
Holding you in my heart

I mean so so sorry, I know what a devastation it is to lose one piggy, never mind three around the same time, what a shame for you
Keep a close eye on your other pigs, to see if it is contagious (whatever happened to them), once again, I’m so sorry x

So sorry for your loss absolute heartbreaking to lose one piggy never mind 3 all in one week. Yes something don't sound right they would have had to of all eaten something that has caused them to be seriously ill or one had a illness that has spread like wild fire to the others. I know you said you cant bring them indoors but is there anyway you bend the rules while you inspect there house for any damp / etc and while you give it a proper good clean out. For peace of mind really to ensure you don't still have pigs that are already sick as there so good at hiding things and will continue to eat to the last minute as you know. I know one has ring worm so that needs separating straight away and check the others for it too. So sorry.

Did you think about taking the pigs to the vet for a blood test on one of the deceased guineas just to see if something showed up for peace of mind since all 3 of died ?

So baby Disney has been living inside and I've been treating her ringworm daily, it doesn't seem to be looking better though? How long does ringworm usually take to clear? I'm worried as she's getting really lonely :(
Also now the Herd no only have ringworm I'm pretty sure they've got mange mites too :(

So sorry for you losses :( massive hugs - absolutely devastating.

In regards to ringworm, what did the vet prescribe her?

Back