• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bald spots on my guinea pig’s back legs!

Ellie_2470

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have noticed that my guinea pig has 2 bald spots on both back legs. If I touch them she doesn’t notice so I’m guessing they aren’t causing her any pain. She is 3 years old and is turning 4 in October. She is still eating perfectly fine and is still her self. I’m just quite concerned about these bald spots as I have no clue what they are. Could this be barbering? I know that they do this because of pain or stress. My guinea pig lost her sister just over a year ago but these bald spots have only been here for about a week. Unfortunately, I can’t get another guinea pig to occupy her. Please help if you know what this could be.

I have noticed that my guinea pig has 2 bald spots on both back legs. If I touch them she doesn’t notice so I’m guessing they aren’t causing

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have noticed that my guinea pig has 2 bald spots on both back legs. If I touch them she doesn’t notice so I’m guessing they aren’t causing her any pain. She is 3 years old and is turning 4 in October. She is still eating perfectly fine and is still her self. I’m just quite concerned about these bald spots as I have no clue what they are. Could this be barbering? I know that they do this because of pain or stress. My guinea pig lost her sister just over a year ago but these bald spots have only been here for about a week. Unfortunately, I can’t get another guinea pig to occupy her. Please help if you know what this could be.

I have noticed that my guinea pig has 2 bald spots on both back legs. If I touch them she doesn’t notice so I’m guessing they aren’t causing
Hi and welcome

Can you please take a picture? We cannot comment due to lack of relevant information on exactly where those spots are located and their appearance as to whether it is mechanical abrasion, normal or something else.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Underneath the message box is a button ‘Attach files’. You can use that and choose a photo from your library.

May I ask why you can’t get your girl a friend? They really do need company of their own kind. No amount of human interaction can replace that I’m afraid.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have pictures but I’m not sure how to upload them
Hi!

You can upload them via the attach files button underneath your new post, by the picture icon just above your post or by simply copying/paste across.

Ellie_2470

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I can’t get my piggy a friend because if I get a new one I’m going to have to keep replacing the guinea pigs every few years if any of them pass otherwise they will be lonely and I don’t want to keep having guinea pigs. I bought 2 guinea pigs in 2016 and sadly one passed away last year. But I bought 2 guinea pigs because I wanted a pet but I don’t want to keep getting guinea pigs. So I made a decision I would only buy 2 guinea pigs and that’s it. I’m not saying this in a rude way because I love guinea pigs but I don’t want to keep getting guinea pigs x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I can’t get my piggy a friend because if I get a new one I’m going to have to keep replacing the guinea pigs every few years if any of them pass otherwise they will be lonely and I don’t want to keep having guinea pigs. I bought 2 guinea pigs in 2016 and sadly one passed away last year. But I bought 2 guinea pigs because I wanted a pet but I don’t want to keep getting guinea pigs. So I made a decision I would only buy 2 guinea pigs and that’s it. I’m not saying this in a rude way because I love guinea pigs but I don’t want to keep getting guinea pigs x
It looks rather like mechanical abrasion or self-barbering to me; it may be worth having your girl vet checked for potential arthritis in her back legs or another underlying potential health issue.

I would recommend to contact East Peckham Guinea Pig Rescue. Many rescues now have schemes for companionship for the 'last standing piggy' of owners who do not want to continue but still care about their bereaved piggy where a companion reverts to the rescue after the death of your piggy.
3 years is just halfway through a normal average life span of 5-7 years; well kept piggies can live even longer - that is a long time having to live on their own.
The oldest ever bereaved piggy I took in from a long shifts working friend was 7 years old. Because of the company from one of my own bereaved sows (in fact, the little baby in my avatar), Calli lived to celebrate her 9th birthday. Baby Tegan passed shortly before her 8th birthday a year later.
Here is more about looking after single piggies in a range of situations and the particular challenges that they pose. It is a non-judgmental article that highlights the specific issues that come with single piggies. Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

PS: Please do not add your postcode as your location and just use your county name instead. We are a public place and strongly recommend our members not to hand out any personal data that can be easily traced for their own protection. It also means that we have the extra job of googling instead of being able to place you in a general area. We are all doing this for free in our free time, by the way; next to a job, our own piggies and social life. All mods are recruited from forum members.