• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Balding Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Kelly

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
During the big hutch conversion this weekend, along with nail and spur trimming I have noticed that Bumble is balding on the insides of her two front legs. It is quite close to the paw and I do see her grooming a lot so it could be possible that she is doing this to herself. She is at least 5 years old now on best guess from the age the rescue gave me when I got her. She had ovarian cysts last year and had an emergency spay which she has recovered well from. The only other issue I have with her is an overactive grease gland which I attempt to clean often.

My question is... would this be seen as normal for her (no other signs of illness, no weight loss etc). Could it be as a result of the stress this week from Isobel and Jemima falling out and Isobel being hurt. She was separated from Isobel for two nights and I finally brought her in for a night in the small indoor cage while we converted the hutch into two living apartments as they were both looking very depressed without each other.

I've seen balding like you've described in my own piggies in the past and always thought it was normal and due to grooming if there was no other hair loss.

Nah no other hair loss, she's as fluffy as always. I have always found her a bit odd in that when I am trying to clip her nails she will try to groom her front legs in that exact spot :))

One of my girls Amber has more prominent bald marks on the inside of her front legs. When I first saw it I had a massive panic! :))

This is a normal place for hair loss- I think it's meant to be caused by grooming. Some pigs have more noticeable bald patches on their inner paws than others, but most (or even all) of them have it.

It is a common place for over grooming, especially when stressed. One other thing to bear in mind is Cushings. I don't think it is that common but I know of a pig who was thought to have it and had bald legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back