• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Balding Patches In V Shape On Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannahPiggie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
About a week ago I took my Saga pig out for grass time. While I was sitting in the run with him I noticed that he had a patch of thinning hair or baldness on his back. It is in a V shape. He has always had this shape in his back fur but it looked like there is less hair there now. Not sure if this is because I just haven't noticed, having not had him in the run since last year. He is very wriggly and doesn't like to be cuddled, so I don't have him out on my lap, which may be another reason I haven't noticed any change. There are a few flecks of dandruff. He does occasionally scratch, but this is very occasional and not worse than his brother who doesn't have any problems with his hair or skin. The skin isn't red or angry. But I am worried. Could it be mites or something similar? Or an allergy? He is on wood shavings. I have scrubbed out his cage. The house he has is quite low and he is a big boy and has to squat down inside. Could it be that his back has been rubbing on the top of the house? I have taken the house out and just covered one end of the cage with a blanket so he can hide without having to rub his back on anything. Any help appreciated. I will take him to the vet if needs be, but he gets so, so stressed being handled that I know it would be awful for him (he has been to the vet three times to have his nails clipped and he screams every time like they are killing him!)20150414_165915.jpg 20150414_170012.jpg 20150414_171222.jpg

Please have him seen at the Cat&Rabbit Care Clinic in Duston; they are one of the best piggy vets in the whole country. The mites triangle is usually the way round. It can be mites and just the way your piggy can get at the painfully itchy bit. But your piggy should to be properly assessed and treated accordingly by a good vet.
You can find the contact details via our vet locator on the top bar: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-vet-locator/

Yes Wiebke that is where he is already registered and goes for nail clipping. I will book him in then. If it is mites, then what is the treatment? Am a little concerned that he won't let me get near him. Thanks!

It will be a series of injections, spread over three appointments. He should be OK at the moment, as long as you avoid the v-shaped bit when touching him.

It is unlikely, but just something to think about - ask them to check his incisors while you are there - I've got a boy who we thought had mites, but it turns out that he seems to have a jaw abscess brewing, which had sent his teeth wonky - the angle of his incisors had caused him to pull the fur when cleaning. As I said, highly unlikely, but worth a check!

Thanks so much Minty and Garry! It is useful to know that it will be injections - I am glad because although I know he will hate them, at least I won't need to apply anything at home which would mean trying to handle the wriggly, stressed out boy! It will be done by a professional. And yes, I will ask them to check the teeth x

Just an update ... I took them both to see Simon who said it was probably a very mild case of mites & applied a spot on as a one off. No need for injections. Phew! And I tell you, he is the piggy whisperer. Saga never lets me handle him. But Simon carried him around one handed with him tucked under his arm! It was amazing :) He said they have lovely little teeth for such big boys & looked to be in very good health apart from this small problem. So relieved!

Just an update ... I took them both to see Simon who said it was probably a very mild case of mites & applied a spot on as a one off. No need for injections. Phew! And I tell you, he is the piggy whisperer. Saga never lets me handle him. But Simon carried him around one handed with him tucked under his arm! It was amazing :) He said they have lovely little teeth for such big boys & looked to be in very good health apart from this small problem. So relieved!

Simon and Kim are both magic! I still see him deftly draping my usually ever so nervous Caron in position for a bladder x-ray with just a few hand strokes and then carrying her across to the x-ray room for a conscious x-ray without her moving at all during the whole procedure...

Simon and Kim are both magic! I still see him deftly draping my usually ever so nervous Caron in position for a bladder x-ray with just a few hand strokes and then carrying her across to the x-ray room for a conscious x-ray without her moving at all during the whole procedure...

Awwww that is brilliant Wiebke! Tonight I held Saga inside his cuddle sack, stroking his head for 10 minutes while he made happy noises and actually fell asleep. This has NEVER happened before in the 18 months that I have had him! I am really hoping that means he is not irritated by mites any more and maybe he will enjoy some lap time. This was literally the first time he has ever let me hold him let alone fell asleep on me! Special time with my boy tonight :)

I recently lost Anna to mites. She scratched and took all the hair off her rump, eventually on both sides. The vet gave her injections and I carried on with antibiotics orally for the whole course of a week but she just didn't rally and although the vet tried his best, she just drifted away. She has a place of honour in the garden, with a weathered and mossy sandstone block to mark the place. I'd only had her a short while and she was so patient and tolerated the medicine even tho' she didn't like it. I felt so bad that her illness and distress happened on my watch but I know that I tried my hardest. I didn't realise that mites could be so serious so if your piggy has them, do all you can to get rid of them.

I recently lost Anna to mites. She scratched and took all the hair off her rump, eventually on both sides. The vet gave her injections and I carried on with antibiotics orally for the whole course of a week but she just didn't rally and although the vet tried his best, she just drifted away. She has a place of honour in the garden, with a weathered and mossy sandstone block to mark the place. I'd only had her a short while and she was so patient and tolerated the medicine even tho' she didn't like it. I felt so bad that her illness and distress happened on my watch but I know that I tried my hardest. I didn't realise that mites could be so serious so if your piggy has them, do all you can to get rid of them.

So sorry to hear about your horrible experience Parkdaleangela. Don't worry, the vet said Saga's mites were caught early and today I sat with him for grass time and could see that the hair has already grown back on his bald patch, so yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back