• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bar Chewing

Status
Not open for further replies.

helloitsbecca

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. I have two 8 month old boars who are currently separated as they weren't getting along. No bloody battles but it was getting a bit too much for me and I was scared to go to work, go to the shops, go to bed etc while they were together incase someone got hurt.

They are in a 2x6 with grids down the middle so are each in a 2x3. They were both incessantly biting the dividing cage bars. It had got so bad that i tied a muchable mattress thing to each side so they couldnt chew it as I didn't want them breaking their teeth. I then started to feel bad, as they were always sitting next to the divider when I got home from work so I removed the munchable mattresses so they could see each other but they have started chewing again. The noise drives me mad (they are in my living room) and I really don't want them to get hurt.

My question is, is there any home remedies to make them not want to chew the bars? They have plenty of toys and stuff but they seem to only want each other, which isnt an option.

I know some people add correx or cardboard so they can't get to the bars. Could you add a clear sheet to it so he can't get to them?

I've also read that it could be stress related or just trying to get your attention

Hi all. I have two 8 month old boars who are currently separated as they weren't getting along. No bloody battles but it was getting a bit too much for me and I was scared to go to work, go to the shops, go to bed etc while they were together incase someone got hurt.

They are in a 2x6 with grids down the middle so are each in a 2x3. They were both incessantly biting the dividing cage bars. It had got so bad that i tied a muchable mattress thing to each side so they couldnt chew it as I didn't want them breaking their teeth. I then started to feel bad, as they were always sitting next to the divider when I got home from work so I removed the munchable mattresses so they could see each other but they have started chewing again. The noise drives me mad (they are in my living room) and I really don't want them to get hurt.

My question is, is there any home remedies to make them not want to chew the bars? They have plenty of toys and stuff but they seem to only want each other, which isnt an option.

Have you tried re-introductions? Cage gnawing in separated piggies usually means that the gnawer wants to be back with their mate. If you ignore it, it tends to stop after some days.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

I know some people add correx or cardboard so they can't get to the bars. Could you add a clear sheet to it so he can't get to them?

I've also read that it could be stress related or just trying to get your attention

I'm sure they sell clear plastic 'grids' online but I can't seem to find any. I think it's more trying to get each other's attention rather than mine, as the dividing grids are the only ones they chew lol.

Have you tried re-introductions? Cage gnawing in separated piggies usually means that the gnawer wants to be back with their mate. If you ignore it, it tends to stop after some days.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Yeah I've tried reintroductions twice, both went well but after the second time, Angus was lunging at William and barbering him. As much as I adore skinny pigs, I didn't want my fluffy pig to be turned into one due to barbering haha. I then had to take William to the vet as I thought he had mites, but it turned out that the barbering had pulled out some skin and then she thinks he'd been scratching and gnawing at them because they were itchy. Definitely not bites or mites the vet said though, so that's a good thing. They get to play together at floortime, whilst being closely monitored. I'm just terrified of leaving them in the cage alone, as that's where all the scraps have happened.

Hoping to get them back together sometime in the future when the hormones have calmed down, or get them neutered and get them a couple of piggy wives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back