• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Barbering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSophieChops

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I noticed on my guine pig with long hair on her rump that she had a short patch. Almost like someone had gotten some scissors and chopped a clump out! Since I haven't done so and I'm pretty sure no one else had, could her cage mate be doing it?

I haven't witnessed this happening but its the only explanation i can think of! They have been recently been showing signs of trying to dominate eachother, specifically snapping at eachother but never making contact. I have also recently-ish (a week or so ago) used gorgeous guineas aloe melt and some shampoo on them, perhaps this made the hair more attractive to her?!

Is it dangerous for the one eating the hair? How can I stop it as her poor hair was looking beautiful and curly before!

Thanks x

I noticed on my guine pig with long hair on her rump that she had a short patch. Almost like someone had gotten some scissors and chopped a clump out! Since I haven't done so and I'm pretty sure no one else had, could her cage mate be doing it?

I haven't witnessed this happening but its the only explanation i can think of! They have been recently been showing signs of trying to dominate eachother, specifically snapping at eachother but never making contact. I have also recently-ish (a week or so ago) used gorgeous guineas aloe melt and some shampoo on them, perhaps this made the hair more attractive to her?!

Is it dangerous for the one eating the hair? How can I stop it as her poor hair was looking beautiful and curly before!

Thanks x

Guinea pigs can barber each other; the reasons for it can be quite complex and definitely more varied than you can find in some places! Self-barbering is also an aspect that needs to be considered. Thankfully, it doesn't cause the barbering piggy any problems; guinea pigs don't make hair balls. ;)

However, if you are worried re. underlying/developing skin parasites or fungal, see a vet if in doubt. There is not much you can do about barbering; it is part of their range of social interaction. The hair will grow back.

Thank-you for the advice, I was mostly worried about the barbering piggy as I don't think the area could've been self-barbered. There are no visible nasties or bald patches of skin or other irritation. It might even be beneficial for her to have shorter hair in this heat! :D

Many years since I,ve, had a barbering problem , but I found rubbing my hands in a VERY small amount of petroleum jelly on my hands and then handling the babreed, pig so that it gets a very tiny amount of on the fur always did the trick,
on reflection I never bath my pigs so there hair is always on the greasy side

Silly question, but have you checked to see if it is her grease gland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back