• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Barely drinking and very white pee stains!

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
Hello :)
Not particularly worried, why I haven’t posted in health and illness section, but my new beauty Aliona really doesn’t drink! She arrived Monday night and think I’ve seen her at the bottle three times! She’s drank less this week than my two normally would in 12hours!
Non-stop munching of hay (loves the B&M dandelion, marigold and bits and bobs one I’ve managed to get my hands on) but barely a sip of water!
I’m thinking she may not be used to all the veg I feed, along with grass a few times a week although I know it’s not too nutritious this time of year. But her pee is very stained with calcium, worst I’ve seen although not gritty etc. Should have taken a pic but fleece being washed atm!
Veg is rinsed, 4/5 different types twice a day, sprinkle of pellets although she’s not really touching them much as scoffing hay constantly! Oats in the evening which she loves. But just seems to need a good flush out of that bladder!
Don’t want to force her to have extra water but the pee is so stained white on the fleece I’m wondering if there’s something I could do to help! Maybe cystease etc? Or just give it a few more weeks as not here very long!
927CFF93-4BA8-48E0-93BC-7FDCB5BE8208.jpeg
D106EC22-7498-4C28-AA4C-7A9CF1196A55.jpeg
2C87D5F0-BC76-4033-BF3E-6C294D657ED7.jpeg
Gorgeous! Looks a bit scared on first pic but she’s got red/black eyes and seems to depend on the camera angle! She’s a really brave little lady bless her :love::love:

I wouldn't waste you're money on Cystease just yet in my opinion, I have the same thing with bernie, he doesn't drink much, to be fair both don't, unless eating nuggets, which bernie doesn't eat. Its probably because I'm wetting veg, and feeding lots of diced up cucumber, that I built up gradually more and more over time to avoid the runs.

One or both of my pigs are leaving white stains, and Dot sometimes has thick milky urine around her back end. But she's acting normal and healthy otherwise. Strange.

Can you pick grass?

Could be worth asking her previous owner, what diet she had. One advantage you do have

I was just thinking with the cystease it might help if she does have lots of calcium build up in her bladder, that it wouldn’t collect together etc and may help a little. I’m blaming Rupert as got me paranoid with piggy bladders these days! :)) I didn’t see it at all with Rupert and then suddenly it was emergency surgery as blocking him urinating and his little bits got chopped bless him!
I said, she’s had grass a couple of times now.
Sure all’s well but just like to hear others opinions!

I was just thinking with the cystease it might help if she does have lots of calcium build up in her bladder, that it wouldn’t collect together etc and may help a little. I’m blaming Rupert as got me paranoid with piggy bladders these days! :)) I didn’t see it at all with Rupert and then suddenly it was emergency surgery as blocking him urinating and his little bits got chopped bless him!
Maybe it will help, I only thought it lined the bladder wall. That's all I know. Hope all is OK 👍

I think as she is still fairly new and is adjusting well I wouldnt start second guessing and adding supplements if she hasnt been diagnosed with a problem, I find that some of my piggies pee much whiter than others even though they all get exactly the same diet- funnily enough its the ones who drink most who do the whitest pee, possibly they pee more so its more noticeable! Did she have a vet check yet? Sorry if you already said my brain is melting from marking exam papers!
She's very beautiful anyway :)

Sorry I missed the grass part you mentioned, I really am bad at reading and then remembering. Which is why I didn't turn up to gcse, pointless 😂

Bill and Ted rarely drink water at all in winter, a little more in summer. They get lots of veggies and grass every day so I don’t think they need it. It’s always freshly available but never noticeably goes down

Thanks so much for your replies, I’m far too paranoid these days :doh:Blaming Poopy Bear!
Just haven’t seen so much white before when washing fleece! I’ll give her longer to settle and not worry myself! Obviously getting the fluids she needs from what shes munching and the same as your gorgeous boys then @Bill & Ted.
She’s at the vets this week @PigglePuggle, other than that she’s doing really well and it’s only me that has a problem with it anyway! :doh:She loves food and a really sweet little girly, totally smitten already (prob why I’m stressing already!) :love:

Thanks so much for your replies, I’m far too paranoid these days :doh:Blaming Poopy Bear!
Just haven’t seen so much white before when washing fleece! I’ll give her longer to settle and not worry myself! Obviously getting the fluids she needs from what shes munching and the same as your gorgeous boys then @Bill & Ted.
She’s at the vets this week @PigglePuggle, other than that she’s doing really well and it’s only me that has a problem with it anyway! :doh:She loves food and a really sweet little girly, totally smitten already (prob why I’m stressing already!) :love:
You can always ask the vet to do some urine dipstick tests and give her bladder a feel during her check-up, but she's still very young for bladder problems, even if she had a great diet before she will be eating and drinking differently now in a new home, try not to worry and take some time to see what's normal for her. When is she meeting the other piggies?

Yes I’ll definitely mention it when I take her thanks @PigglePuggle :)
Well I’m going to be honest, terrible at keeping a secret.
ACD346AC-1E44-42BC-B331-01D92DC442E7.jpeg17472F57-7563-4F6A-B912-DD07DE39666C.jpeg79D4A035-2F1D-417A-B3D7-73ADFD6BD463.jpeg1213971C-B58C-4F03-B82C-1BD1CA027F72.jpeg5C4B1489-6638-412F-A3B0-DD9CD2B84188.jpeg
Went with my heart! Two days of hiding in her bed looking very sad and knowing she’d been alone for over three and a half months got me. They were bonded yest! Naughty me I know, slapping my own wrists, but she was like a different piggy as soon as next door to my two!
C5066A95-2486-448E-B21C-069CD88BA861.jpeg
649B3AC7-073A-47AA-B340-E856F3AD6714.jpeg
First night chookening away after meeting through the bars :love::love:
I’m terrible but all going brilliantly so far!

She’s so happy, had me quite tearful if I’m honest! So quiet when she first came but so full of beans now :love:
Bonding went really well, the ladies had a few face offs and big old teeth chatters but she was a bit much with Jess sniffing at her etc and obviously she’s used to boys, when she realised Aliona wasn’t interested in any naughty stuff they were great together! Even Luigi was an angel (for him!)! Took over 7hours to bond him and Jess, half the time yesterday!
My favourite pics, Jess the bulldozer!
8F7B3618-B494-4636-AA80-132EF9BAB1DD.jpeg519AC352-8AD7-4336-AD63-677A974240CD.jpegBD64D34A-15D1-4AC2-96B9-E3420C27BA77.jpeg
Luigi getting on Aliona’s case, Jess flew over and gave him a right telling off! :)) She couldn’t even hear her of course, could just tell he was being his annoying self!
Luigi’s been the quietest he’s ever been atm, so chuffed with these girls! :love:

I give bowls of water, as well as bottles! I find some much prefer to drink from a bowl!
Thanks Debbie, I’ll pop one in tomorrow and see if she prefers that, with some extra protection underneath in case Luigi the kangaroo decides to jump in it while on a popcorn cage mission like he does! :))

I'm pleased she has settled in so well.some of my piggies drink a full 600mls a day between two piggies.some that drink non. You must have given her a lot of love,she is so chilled.x

Back