• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Barney - Potential Dental Abscess

Status
Not open for further replies.

helen105281

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is just a thread to update really on Barney's on-going situation as he is being treated by Kim and Simon at the Cat and Rabbit clinic.

A couple of weeks ago we noticed that Barney was no longer interested in veg or pellets and was only eating his hay. We did a wee test and listened to his chest and found no issues there. He did seem to be struggling slightly when eating though and we could feel a slight indentation in his jaw and so the OH took him on the train to see Kim. She could not find anything with his teeth though did agree there was something on his jaw and suspected a brewing abscess. She tidied up his teeth slightly as he had not been eating properly for a few days and he was put on Zithromax. We were also to continue his pain relief. However a couple of days later it was clear that Barney could not tolerate the Zithromax. he was very lethargic and would not eat a thing. I think this is due to the fact he is a complex little pig with many ongoing issues, a lot of pigs tolerate it well. After speaking to Simon on the phone we stopped the Zithromax and Barney perked up considerably. A couple of days later he was put on Marbocyl instead and he is tolerating this much better. We have the old Barney back, almost, he is lively and flirting with his girls again. The original issue is still there but improving slowly I think and he will see Kim or Simon after the course of antibiotics to see if the abscess has appeared.

He is maintaining his weight with only top up feeds, and is trying different foods each day, though he does chop and change his mind a lot and where he will love something one day, he runs away from it the next. He also seems to be craving the girls' special poos so we have some Oropharma vitamins on the way from VioVet which have been recommended to me by a friend.

I will update the thread with how he is doing over the next few days.

Thank you for the update, it is always interesting when people take the time to post about their piggy's ongoing issues and it really does help when you are facing the same diagnosis from the vet. There is not always time to ask all the questions that you want to at an appointment.
I really hope Barney is better soon. Please give him nose-rubs from me and all my best healing vibes.
This is a good example of a condition that might be missed by less observant owners.
Cassandra

Sending BArney lots of love x x

You guys are going through it lately, please keep us updated on your little one x

I will do thanks Lee. Not liking 2015 so far.

Poor Barney. Hopefully the marbocyl will do the trick. I've not heard about Oropharma vitamins - what's the story? xx

It's these:

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Oropharma_C..._find=140910&gclid=COymtdiZ-MICFcrLtAod5z8AjA

My friend who put together the diet I follow (IC diet) has been doing some research on vitamins, mainly for pigs who are pellet-less but also as a supplement when needed, and has found that these have the ingredients that most fit in with the plan. The Oxbow ones are good but contain grains and the IC diet is supposed to be grainless.

Thank you, hopefully the rest of the year will be better. We lost one of the hamsters too.

It was literally a few days after we lost Phoebe, found him all curled up in his bed. Was one of the Pobs - Pobbit.

Poor little guy! I've dealt with dental abscesses in the past and they are not fun (not fun for the pig either, I'm sure!) I hope he feels much better soon. Sundae had dental issues for months leading up to the point where her abscess puffed up and could be lanced and drained... it was a rough few months for her, but she did make a great recovery with treatment!

Aww poor Barney. Bucketfulls of healing vibes to him & a big hug for u at this stressful time.
Sorry to hear about phoebe &pobbit :(
Hopefully the worst of 2015 is over &time for a long positive period to begin :)

Good luck &I'm sure Barney knows he's in the best place with such a capable mum :)

Fingers &paws crossed for a speedy recovery. Xx

Hi Helen

Sorry to hear about your "pants" start to 2015.

I've too have had pigs that have not responded well to zithromax...antibiotic responses for any pig is always worrying.

Hope Barney and his potential jaw abcess are now making good progress.

He's in the best hands with Simon and Kim

x

Well tonight we have even more of Barney back, he was wheeking as soon as he realised I was starting the veg and was waiting with his girls when I came out the kitchen. He is still eating now too, am so pleased with him, He has only had 15ml of syringe food today too and is maintaining his weight.

Barney is still doing really well, and is back eating his usual veg, rather than whatever we could tempt him with. He is maintaining his weight at about 824g. He sees Kim for a follow up on Saturday when he will have been off the Marbocyl for a couple of days. He was even wheeking at me earlier as loud as he could to get me to open the grids so he could play in the hall.

Barney is still doing really well, and is back eating his usual veg, rather than whatever we could tempt him with. He is maintaining his weight at about 824g. He sees Kim for a follow up on Saturday when he will have been off the Marbocyl for a couple of days. He was even wheeking at me earlier as loud as he could to get me to open the grids so he could play in the hall.
Glad he is doing so well. Yay for Barney x

Aw no, sorry to hear this Helen - healing vibes and wheeks to Barney x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back