• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Barney's Cyst Refilled - How Much Salt To Put In Water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbiS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I took Barney to the vets a couple of weeks ago with a lump and he was diagnosed with a cyst that the vet squeezed loads of pus out of. I was to wash it with salty water and squeeze out any more pus twice a day for the next 10 days or so. However after the vets trips I was not able to get any more pus out at all so on day 3 I stopped because he was getting really stressed with me. I have just checked it again now and it has refilled so I will start squeezing it a couple of times a day again. But with the genius memory that I have I cant remember what the concentration of the salt water should be. I'm sure the vet said 1tspn in 3/4 pint cooled boiled water. Does that sound about right?

I feel so sorry for Barney because I am clearly hurting him when I squeeze it but there is no other option. If I manage to get it all clear this time and it refills I will take him back to the vet but just want to give it my best shot of clearing it before we have to start with antibiotics or surgery. It is not infected at the moment so I feel I have a few days to play with.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I got the recipe at 1 teaspoon for 1 pint of boiled cooled water, but it is roughly in the kind of ball park you are thinking off. You can also get sterile saline from pharmacy. Poor boy, it is not pleasant! Bedo has still not quite forgiven me for squeezing his abscess.

AbiS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you. Will get that made up tonight for tomorrow. Am I ok to put it in a glass bottle and use it for a few days or do I need to make fresh each time? I think he will be getting an awful lot of carrots and baby corn over the next few days - it is the only way I can get him to stay in one spot while I do it. Even though he still keeps jumping and trying to kick me :eek:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I would make it up fresh every couple of days if it is homemade. You can halve the recipe.

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm really sorry that you and Barney are dealing with this :( Get well soon Barney.

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poor guy! You can also buy sterile saline at the pharmacy (I have it anyhow, as I use it to rinse contact lenses with.) It will cost a bit more but will save you the time of boiling the water over and over again. I hope he feels better soon!

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I got saline pouches (like little tubes) for flushing out my old mare Chrizzy's leg abscess, much easier with a wiggly pig or stamping cross pony!

Tbag

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poor little guy! Hope you can get rid of the nasty thing without taking the next step!

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I hope it all goes well @AbiS don't hesitate to take action and go back to the vets if you suspect it is infected or Barney is going downhill though.
Is it a sebaceous cyst? Or cervical lymphadenitis (I have obviously not spelt that right) or something else?

AbiS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I hope it all goes well @AbiS don't hesitate to take action and go back to the vets if you suspect it is infected or Barney is going downhill though.
Is it a sebaceous cyst? Or cervical lymphadenitis (I have obviously not spelt that right) or something else?
Ummm I have no idea - vet just said cyst although it does remind me of when MrS had a sebaceous cyst. Such a hard time with him this morning - it obviously hurts him when I squeeze it - even with a face full of food he was still trying to get away from me and trying to kick me! I felt so guilty!

AbiS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh I just hate, hate, HATE doing it. Just tried again while he was having his tea. He just will not sit still - cant blame the poor boy - but it means I am not able to squeeze it enough to make sure there is nothing there. I feel totally useless. When I spoke to my mum earlier she said would it not be easier just to go and have it removed - I really don't want him to have a GA but if I am unable to empty it fully then it is just going to keep filling up. I have got a horrendous week at work this week so will keep checking it but I think we might have to go back to see the vet the week after. Wish he was human - I would just tell him to stop acting like a girl, man up and sit still. But he is just a little piggle and I love him but I have to keep hurting him :soz:

Status
Not open for further replies.