• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bathing A New Guinea Pig

Crystal.L

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! I still don't have a guinea pig as a matter of fact, I just registered today and I just made by introduction. I'm doing research on guinea pigs to ensure that I know what I'm doing. I will be getting a guinea pig from PetSmart and I know that guinea pigs are supposed to be in pairs but I really can't get two because of personal issues and I'm staying home all day now because of COVID. I also know that PetSmart sell guinea pigs that are sick, I will be looking for ringworm (bald patches on the head, ears, or body) and making sure the gender is a female. I already have a cage, ex-pen, and a very big green and grassy yard in the summer. I think all I need left are pellets in vitamin C and some chew toys (I also already have a hidey house). I know the guinea pig should have time to itself for about 2 days to get used to it's new home but...
I would like to know if I can give my guinea pig a bath using Head & Shoulders Anti-Dandruff shampoo (to get rid of ringworm if they have any) the next day. So, if I get it on Wednesday, can I give it a bath on Thursday all while wearing gloves when petting and holding it?

If you cannot get two guinea pigs , you shouldnt get them at all. Guinea pigs are highly social animals and NEED a pair. Bathing should only happen if needed (when sick or told by a vet). I would also really try to find guinea pigs at a shelter. I have gotten mine from petsmart but regret supporting the terrible breeding. ( love my piggies just not where they came from) Please take my suggestions and ask more questions when needed. Welcome ! I love when new friends come! :)

A guinea pig needs a companion or else it’ll become very lonely and depressed. You mentioned on your other post about introducing said pig to your rabbit which could end badly for the guinea pig. I would honestly either get two or not get any because no pig deserves to be lonely or subjected to possible disease from the rabbit :(

You are a guinea pig you are wondering what has happened to all your friends. You are terrified, alone and in a new environment. You have no other guinea pigs you have nobody. There are strange noises and smells. You are hungry but you dare not come out in the open where you can see and smell food because your prey instincts are telling you that the open area is a dangerous place and you must hide so you won't get eaten.

A big scary smelly very loud human chases you around and you run for your life as you think you will be eaten if you are caught. You have nobody to share your fears with you are sad and alone with nobody to talk to.

This is what life will for a single piggy. Not nice is it? Feeling scared and frightened all the time.

I certainly would not bathe any piggy in human shampoo especially not Head and Shoulders!

Oh how old are you?

:agr: Entirely

piggies must be kept in pairs and, as said, if you can’t get two, then it’s best not to get any. it’s one of the animal welfare rights to have companionship of their own species so if you get only one then you are going against animal welfare.

Pet shop piggies can bring home illnesses. In order to deal with any illness, you need a vet, a diagnosis and correct treatment. Do not bathe a guinea pig with head and shoulders shampoo - it won’t be completely effective but any illness needs to be diagnosed and correctly treated . If you try and treat any illness with DIY methods, then they are unlikely to get better, it prolongs treatment, makes it more expensive and is therefore worse for the piggy. Guinea pigs are expensive to keep, with vet fees being higher in the US than here in the UK, so you need a good sized vet fund saved up before you get piggies to be able to meet the care needs. Guinea pigs should not be bathed routinely anyway

You also dont leave them alone for two days. You cover their cage and let them settle for a week and only feed, add fresh water and spot clean carefully. You then build gaining their trust slowly from then on.

guinea pigs don’t need chew toys, they need hay and loads of it. It is their main food and needs to be available constantly. and in large quantities. pellets are the least important part of the diet and need to be kept strictly limited to one tablespoon per pig per day.

please read the links below

Most importantly, for the sake of the guinea pigs - if you cannot get two, then please don’t get any. If you buy a single piggy, then it will end up lonely.

New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information

Last edited:
You are a guinea pig you are wondering what has happened to all your friends. You are terrified, alone and in a new environment. You have no other guinea pigs you have nobody. There are strange noises and smells. You are hungry but you dare not come out in the open where you can see and smell food because your prey instincts are telling you that the open area is a dangerous place and you must hide so you won't get eaten.

A big scary smelly very loud human chases you around and you run for your life as you think you will be eaten if you are caught. You have nobody to share your fears with you are sad and alone with nobody to talk to.

This is what life will for a single piggy. Not nice is it? Feeling scared and frightened all the time.

I certainly would not bathe any piggy in human shampoo especially not Head and Shoulders!

Oh how old are you?

You put my thoughts into words way better than I managed to. Absolutely spot on

It’s not fair to keep just the one alone. How would you feel if you had absolutely no interaction with another human for years?

You say personal circumstances won’t allow you to get two which makes me wonder if you’d have the money for vet fees. Guinness pigs are not cheap pets especially when they fall ill. They need access to a vet ASAP as they have a tendency to go downhill rapidly. And neither are they cuddly.

If you can’t meet all their needs then please postpone getting them until further notice. There are other small animals that can be kept alone. You’d be better off looking at them.

I hope all the above posts have served to change your mind. If not then I’m sorry to say that you’re putting your own needs before those of an animal that can’t speak for itself. And that would be cruel and selfish.

You may be better off considering something like a hamster.
They need to live alone, but they also need a large cage (do some research - Pet Smart sells some positively inhuman cages) but they can be a fun and entertaining pet and might fit your needs better than an animal which simply must live with a companion.

There is no harm in adjusting your plans to fit your circumstances.
This is far better than causing an animal to suffer because your circumstances don't allow them to have all they need to be happy.

If you cannot get two guinea pigs , you shouldnt get them at all. Guinea pigs are highly social animals and NEED a pair. Bathing should only happen if needed (when sick or told by a vet). I would also really try to find guinea pigs at a shelter. I have gotten mine from petsmart but regret supporting the terrible breeding. ( love my piggies just not where they came from) Please take my suggestions and ask more questions when needed. Welcome ! I love when new friends come! :)
Okay! I'll be trying to get a pair instead of just one. Hopefully I can!

A guinea pig needs a companion or else it’ll become very lonely and depressed. You mentioned on your other post about introducing said pig to your rabbit which could end badly for the guinea pig. I would honestly either get two or not get any because no pig deserves to be lonely or subjected to possible disease from the rabbit :(
Got it! I'll try to get two so the guinea pig can have a companion.

If you can’t then please don’t get one at all. As mentioned in your other thread, why don’t you consider getting your rabbit a friend?

If you can’t then please don’t get one at all. As mentioned in your other thread, why don’t you consider getting your rabbit a friend?
I can't get my rabbit a friend because there are literally no shelters or rescues that have rabbits where I live. I was considering getting a baby rabbit from my friend if her rabbit got pregnant but I found guinea pigs first. I'll try to get two guinea instead of just one.

Where did you get your current rabbit from? Is your friend a breeder? You say ‘if’...

It’s not fair to keep just the one alone. How would you feel if you had absolutely no interaction with another human for years?

You say personal circumstances won’t allow you to get two which makes me wonder if you’d have the money for vet fees. Guinness pigs are not cheap pets especially when they fall ill. They need access to a vet ASAP as they have a tendency to go downhill rapidly. And neither are they cuddly.

If you can’t meet all their needs then please postpone getting them until further notice. There are other small animals that can be kept alone. You’d be better off looking at them.

I hope all the above posts have served to change your mind. If not then I’m sorry to say that you’re putting your own needs before those of an animal that can’t speak for itself. And that would be cruel and selfish.
Thanks, I'll try to get two instead of just one.

I really hope that you do. And make sure (as mentioned on your intro thread) that you keep them completely separate from your rabbit. There’s no need for them to interact.

Another thing to think about is do you have a vet fund set up? Guinea pigs are expensive when it comes to vet care. More so in the US. They can go downhill in a matter of hours so it’s very important to provide vet care as and when needed. Have a look at the vet locator for one near you.

May I ask how old you are?
Guinea Lynx :: GL's Vet List

Where did you get your current rabbit from? Is your friend a breeder? You say ‘if’...
I got my current rabbit from a friend, she was going to another country and wasn't coming back so she gave them to me. I had two at first then one passed away last year. I don't know where my friend got the rabbits. I say "if" because that's a different friend, she got a baby rabbit about May last year and she's considering breeding it and selling the babies. I am 31, I don't turn 32 until this year.

Do you have a vet fund set up?

We don’t support breeding on this forum, just so you know. So I would seriously consider telling your friend not to do it. There endeth my lecture 😉

Do you have a vet fund set up?

We don’t support breeding on this forum, just so you know 😉
Yes, I have a vet fund set up. I have an exotic veterinarian on call if I need her. I know we don't support breeding on the forum, I just forgot, thanks!

Yes, I have a vet fund set up. I have an exotic veterinarian on call if I need her. I know we don't support breeding on the forum, I just forgot, thanks!
Glad you takeour suggestions. Sometimes people come and do not listen. If you get any animal I would love a picture when it happens!

Back