Bathing Guinea Pigs

amorrissett

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Anyone have advice on how often you should bathe a guinea pig and how it should be done? My piggies are pretty timid so I don’t want to terrify them.

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You shouldn’t bathe them at all unless there is a medical need to. Bathing can be bad for their skin.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Only on the advice of a vet or if they are so totally soaked in wee and poo that it doesnt come off with a flannel or wet wipes. Then consider perhaps a bum bath.

amorrissett

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you for clearing up the confusion! I have not bathed them since I have had them because I didn't think they needed it but I had seen some people mention it on here so I thought I might have been wrong. I will just keep doing what I'm doing!(:

BlueBird

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Anyone have advice on how often you should bathe a guinea pig and how it should be done? My piggies are pretty timid so I don’t want to terrify them.
I only bathe them once a year in summer but even then only if they are particularly smelly that even a clean out won't sort it. (I live in a open plan flat so if they are smelly you can't really ignore it). And even then, I'd only do this is summer or warm spring days. They hate baths so I don't like putting them through the stress.