• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bathing my pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayleyh

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think I did see a thread about cleaning guinea pigs but I can't find it now.
My pig absolutely stinks today. I got him out of his cage and he sat on my lap for about 10 mins then he jumped back into his cage and now every where I go I can smell him on my clothes.
I think he might be sleeping in his urine. I change him out twice a week, but he has never smelt this bad before.
Anyway, what I want to know is can I give him a bath and what is the best way to go about it?

Guinea pigs do not stink normally. If he has a strong smell this is often indicative of a potential urinary infection. Is his fur discoloured on his tummy?

Please take him to a vet for a urine test/full check up before you bathe him with anything.

Once he gets the all clear (and therefore is just a "smelly boar".:(|)...I have three) ..bathing every other month with Johnsons baby shampoo should suffice (ie no need to use mite/insecticidal/antifungal treatment)

Don;t treat with anything until you get him checked out properly by a vet (treating can interfere with any tests necessary and therefore could result in a waste your money)

HTH
x

Hey hope your piggie is ok. Maybe put more hay in with him every night so that he has stuff to much and lie on and the urine soaks up too x

I have recently changed from using sawdust in his cage to fleece. I wonder if this could be the problem. The smell is just of urine. He is due to be changed out tomorrow, but he isn't normally smelly himself. I wonder whether I should go back to sawdust or not.

one of my boars is a smelly boy, he scent marks EVERYTHING! ive just bathed him in "just for boars" from gorgeous guineas and now he smells delicious!

Hi love i have always cleaned out twice daily, i house my girls on newspapers and hay.......i scoop out the wet hay and papers and replace this may not be the whole of their cage.. often it's just the main area where their food bowls are, then once a week the whole lot gets discarded and we start fresh again.
Piggies often tend to sleep / sit in their urine and poops rolleyes
I do butt baths every 2-3 weeks cause of a long haired piggie only way to keep her looking and smelling clean :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back