• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bathing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggieHerd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I hear and read allot of conflicting opinions on this matter. The rescue where I adopted my girls informed me that I should bathe my piggies 4x a year, which is once every 3 months. That was one of the requirement for me being able to adopt my girls. This other forum would say I should never bathe guinea pigs (which I'm not a fan of the forum, bunch of rude totalitarian members).

How often do you bathe your pigges?

From what I have heard, you shouldn't bathe your guinea pigs more than twice a year. I would think that you should only have to bathe them when the vet recommends it, or they have fleas, mites, etc.

I'll give mine a little rinse if they have poopy toes or dirty faces. But I think every three months full wash is a bit excessive. It could depend on the guinea pig though. Kind of like dog breeds. I only wash my dog twice a year and she's a lab. But I would wash my other long haired dog twice as often.

My long haired ones only get a bath if needed, which is rare. Daphne is bit prone to getting wee bum, but normally its solved by cutting her hair short. Sometimes one or both get a bum wash if there is any muck build up I worry might affect their skin.

I really seldom due an all-over bath without a reason. I will spot clean any dirty areas (Sundae has an overactive grease gland that needs cleaning every couple of months) or if there's a skin condition requiring it (Sundae also occasionally gets fungal patches on her belly that need washing with antifungal shampoo and then treating with antifungal cream.) Otherwise, I only wipe down/clean what's dirty. I always worry they will be too cold... I've found it's very hard to get all that fur to dry, particularly in any season but summer.

My girls get bathed one a year, twice the most if needed, and only in summer. My long haired girls get weekly bum baths which is just a rinse through with some warm water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back