• FORUM DONATIONS OPEN The forum relies on your help to continue running, if you would like to help keep the forum running then you can find out about donating here

Bathing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How do you bath piggies? What shampoo do you use? What do you need? What are the do's and do not's? Can you use baby shampoo?
Sorry for all the questions!

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you v much! I know know what to do in Summer/Spring! Would this be okay: bringing them to a friends house who has piggies, bathing them indoors and waiting until their fur dries to bring them back outdoors?

P

piggyfan

Thank you v much! I know know what to do in Summer/Spring! Would this be okay: bringing them to a friends house who has piggies, bathing them indoors and waiting until their fur dries to bring them back outdoors?
I would not risk that. I am sure they cannot be that dirty! Surely you can wait until summer?

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yeah, I will wait! Do not want to risk cold wet piggies!:(
Good news, a friend of my parents has come and measured my piggie cage for insulation! FINALLY!

GloriousGuineaGirl

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Maddykins

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I use a washing up bucket and fill it with warm water and also use a little watering can to help get them wet all over quickly and to help rinse them after shampooing. I have one of P@H's small animal shampoos, it smells quite nice, it's pink. I always bath them with my partner because it is easier with two people especially if you have wriggly pigs - one of mine is quite strong and big and he literally tries to periodically leap up out of the bucket! He's not a fan of being bathed :P And we sit on the floor so if he did manage to jump out or whatever he wouldn't hurt himself, and always make sure it's nice and warm in the room.

After bath they get a quick towel dry, and then we blow dry them on a medium type setting but from a good distance so one of us holds pig and the other uses hair-dryer, this way someone always has a hand on pig where he's getting dried so definitely doesn't get too hot for him etc. Ours both hate being blow-dryed and wriggle a lot so we usually give some treats. Then when they are pretty much dry they get put back in the cage and then it is the next one's turn!

Status
Not open for further replies.