• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Bathtime Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAurora

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My least favourite job as a guinea pig owner!

They think you've betrayed their trust.

They are scared and vulnerable.

It just sucks, sucks, sucks.

And all the time you are petrified you might actually hurt them!

Struggling to get Casran dry he has so much fur - he's sleeping it off under a mountain of blankets cause I'm scared he'll catch a chill.

20150207_140720.jpg

20150207_161047-1.jpg

Katherine

Soppiest Piggie Owner 2015
Reaction score
Totally agree, I hate giving them baths - it's awful, you just feel like you're torturing them. I try to avoid it unless absolutely necessary, but I've got to face up to bathing one of our girls, only I'm leaving it for a bit as I've got a cold and don't want to get too close to her.

One of ours nearly leapt right out of the bath last time. Not sure which of us got the most stressed!

Casran looks cosy in his blankets, hope he dries off soon!

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm fine with giving them baths. :)

What I do is put them in a little bucket, fill it with some water and as I put them in it, I hold my hand up so they can put their two front paws on my palm. With their upper half elevated they don't freak out. This has worked for all 8 of the guinea pigs I've had. Even the ones who used to be terrified of baths until I figured out this trick.

Hope it helps. =)

EDIT: I wonder if I should try and record this to help people? I've seen a lot of people struggle with bathing.

Wigwig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I dont mind giving baths, my shower has a detectable head so i can move it down and wash him off easily. And uhhh, I have him sit on my lap while I wash him, so he is never bothered much. Its the drying part I hate, cause it takes so long and he hates the hair dryer so I cant use it.

Posyrose

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I had to do my boys' grease glands today, involving a bum bath for them both (separately). I support them too so their upper half is out of the water. Both of them are quite placid, so they don't protest too much. Cleaning their grease glands and anal sacs was another matter, particularly my long black haired boy with an active grease gland; I hadn't realised that some of his hair was stuck together by the grease. It all came off after a while, but even though I was doing my best to be gentle, he was not impressed! They are now enjoying their run in front of the fire - and only coming out of their hidey when there's food involved! Hopefully it won't take too long for them to dry off.

jenniferanneharris

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Aw bless them. Mine have never been keen on baths either. Luckily only do them when i need too :) They have also always hated being trimmed lol :P silly pigs huh :P

Pandy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm fine with giving them baths. :)

What I do is put them in a little bucket, fill it with some water and as I put them in it, I hold my hand up so they can put their two front paws on my palm. With their upper half elevated they don't freak out. This has worked for all 8 of the guinea pigs I've had. Even the ones who used to be terrified of baths until I figured out this trick.

Hope it helps. =)

EDIT: I wonder if I should try and record this to help people? I've seen a lot of people struggle with bathing.
Re. the EDIT ... Yes please! :nod: We've yet to bathe our piggies (I'm a little nervous about doing it even though I've read through the link on the forum on how to do it) they're still settling in after a couple of months but I really want to bathe them as I'm not sure when they were last bathed and I've got some Gorgeous Guineas shampoo especially.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Re. the EDIT ... Yes please! :nod: We've yet to bathe our piggies (I'm a little nervous about doing it even though I've read through the link on the forum on how to do it) they're still settling in after a couple of months but I really want to bathe them as I'm not sure when they were last bathed and I've got some Gorgeous Guineas shampoo especially.
Sure I don't mind!

I gave one a bath the other month but I'm sure I can give them another one, especially my long haired piggie as he sits in his pee a lot.

ayemee

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've never had to fully bath any of my pigs. But I have a feeling I may need to bath Amber at some point in the future. Her hair seems to get quite greasy.

Not looking forward to it if I ever have to!

Status
Not open for further replies.