• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Baytril Dosage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just had the most bizarre appointment at the vets. Was the first time I had been. Took my pig because he has been squeeking when he is pooping and I read it could maybe be a UTI so thought I better get him checked out.

The vet never even gave my pig a check over and asked me nothing but gave me baytril. However she didn't even weigh him so how can she calculate the correct dosage for him?

He weighs about 1.6kg (big piggie) and I have been told to give him 0.2ml of baytril twice a day...does this sound right? Or does any one know the calculation?

I'd find a new vets if I were you......just handing out Baytril without examining the pig or looking further into it? Eeeeee.

Baytril dosage for an adult piggie tends to be up to 0.4ml twice daily. I would be inclined to increase the dosage you have been given, partly because for a UTI I'd say 0.2ml will do barely anything (unless you are very lucky), and partly because he is a larger than average pig.

The GL dose calculator may help, but for me, even without using that I would advise increasing it to 0.4ml 2x daily - and making sure you give a probiotic an hour or two after dosing with the Baytril.

http://www.guinealynx.info/dose_calculator.html

Aside from that, I could advise more e.g. pain relief/anti-inflammatory, and will do in a short while. The biggest problem is you need a good vet to a) x-ray to check for stones, and b) prescribe the right antibiotic (Septrin).

Last edited:
Thanks Laura.

Sam is acting normally only making this occasional noise. It was the first time at that vet do * think I just go to another one again or try antibiotics at the increased dose?

Also I have septrin in the house and said to her and she said Septrin was a dangerous antibiotic for gps (I have it from my other pigs ill health about 6 wks ago...so would that be expired now?)

Ahhh question questions.....rubbish vet!

If it was me I'd try another vet, but in the meantime increase the dosage of the Baytril. It is up to you what you do, I would recommend trying to find a better vet, and it is your call on the Baytril. Just keep an eye out for inappetance, soft poops or general signs of unwellness, as some pigs don't tolerate Baytril too well; the probiotic should help ward this off just a little.

And to be honest, thinking about a vet that automatically prescribes Baytril, I would not trust their opinions. So what she said about Septrin, purely based on what you have described, is in my view utter rubbish! And with what I know about it and how widely it is used, reiterates that it's just nonsense. Lack of education could well be the biggest thing to blame there.

Hi,

I have just had the same problem with my piggie, the vet didn't weigh him either! and prescribed 0.2ml baytril. He is a big piggie, but seems to have worked as he doesn't squeek now when weeing:))

Thanks Laura. I will up my baytril dose....they also said to dilute the baytril with ribina or pineapple juice? But Sam doesn't take meds easily so would be easier to just give the med only so it is one mouthful....does that make sense?

Also Lily good to know your pig is back to health. I am going to try baytril....they told me for 5 days. Then if no improvment I will find myself a new vets!

Thankyou :)

Definitely makes sense, I am the same, get the med straight in, over and done with. While mixing the dose with a bit of Ribena might make the meds go down easier, for me, I would rather have to administer as small an amount as possible i.e. just the medicine. That's what I find involves the least performance for me, I know others are different though and at the end of the day, as long as that full dose gets directly into the pig, that's what really matters.

when my piggies needed Baytril they were not happy about having the pipette in their mouth, so i put the drops they needed on a piece of cucumber and sat with them to make sure they ate it. i had a few battles with them over the pipette and we were both getting stressed, so this was the only way we could get them to take it.

when my piggies needed Baytril they were not happy about having the pipette in their mouth, so i put the drops they needed on a piece of cucumber and sat with them to make sure they ate it. i had a few battles with them over the pipette and we were both getting stressed, so this was the only way we could get them to take it.

Thanks, will try that. Poor Sam is getting all stressed out when I give it to him....he is a wriggly piggie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back