• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Baytril & its side effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Can anyone advise how long the side effects of Baytril can last ie: loss of appetite

My girly was prescribed Baytril for a wound that she incurred following a fight with her cage mate. The wound has healed perfectly and her last dose of Baytril was on Monday but she still seems off her food and hardly touches anything (just has the odd nibble as and when the mood takes her). She has lost weight during the week although has lost nothing between yesterday and today.

She had until yesterday been split from her cage mate for just over a week although they have been in a c&c cage with a grid divide between them so that they did not lose their bond. I have also been away for a week with a friend looking after them so it could be that either/both of these issues have caused her to be a bit fed up but she is now back with her cage mate and both are getting along lovely, I have returned home and have been giving her lots of attention but she still does not want to eat.

Could it still be that she is off her food from the Baytril ?

Is there anything i can try and give her to boost her up a bit or should i just see how she goes for a couple more days.

I have called my vet and he said that the final side effects of Baytril can last upto a week - is this right?

Please help, I am really worried about her.

Many Many Thanks, Claire x

I would rather think that one of the other issues is the problem - or a new one. If she hasn't lost any weight within 24 hours, it means that she is getting enough food and is eating plenty of hay and dry food.

Is she not interested in food or is she trying to eat but can't?

She seems interested in her food as comes upto the bowl each time the veg goes in and rummages around in it and comes out her house when fresh hay gets put in and sniffs around in that too. She seems that she can eat ok as i have seen her eat carrot, lettuce, cucumber, spring greens etc but not very much of it - she just nibbles and then walks away. she can also eat hay and pellets as i have seen her eat those too. She has eaten the husky bits off the top of the hay too.

I really dont know what to do for her at the moment. She was out and about during the night, nibbling on her wood sticks and chewing her wooden tunnel. She is bright eyed, poo's are ok, have seen her drinking and when i cleaned their cage out today, she was running around when i put her back into it - i just cant work out whats wrong with her.

Keep weighing her daily. If her weight is continues to be stable over the next couple of days, I would just let her settle in again - it means that she is eating enough and will hopefully start putting weight on again once she feels settled and secure. She has been through a lot of stress lately.

my boy was on Baytril for weeks and my lovely vet recommended Avipro, i put it in his water bottle and syringed him it, he absolutely loved it, really, he just couldnt get enough of it lol!

no he didnt really, the only real side effects i saw were that his poops seemed really long and thin lol, he was on Baytril for about 7 or 8 weeks on or off, and to be honest he did soooo well, unfortunately i lost him last saturday, but, it was down to bladder stones, he had an op to have one removed on 6th july (a huge one!), and recovered well, but the poor little fella never stopped sqeaking and must have had another one form again, but i decided against another op, because even though he was totally on his food, he had lost a lot of weight.

I bought him a bag of Timothy hay following his op and he loved it, maybe you could get yours some to see if it encourages him? Pepper seemed to love it.

Good luck xx

Some piggies seem to tolerate Baytril very badly - loss of appetite and diarrhoea being the most common problems. I am sorry to hear your sow may be one of these.

I don't know how long those side effects could last, so all I can advise is the same as Wiebke - keep weighing her daily. If her poops are normal size/shape/consistency then the odds are she is eating well enough, but if her weight does continue to drop then don't hesitate to give her some supplementary syringe-feeds.

I also agree that a probiotic and some new hay types are well worth trying to encourage her appetite as much as possible. :)

Thanks for your posts:

Laura - what supplementry syringe feeds would you recommend i give her ?

I have tried her on Timothy Western Hay and also Excel Dandelion & Marigold - any other suggestions for tasty hay?

x

Hi

Re-Baytril

It is said by some who understand these things that Baytril is next to useless for Guinea pigs, although it is great for cats and dogs.

So if you want to avaoid the known side effects its best to get your vet to proscribe something a bit more sutable for Piggies.

Regards

SGP

Trixie has put on 17g(0.6oz) since yesterday and is more her usual self this morning.

She is still not eating very much veg or dried food but is eating loads of hay.

The only veg she really seems to tuck into is cucumber, celery and Carrot - she does not seem interested in her green veg at all for some reason.

Both the girls have been caught chattering at each other this morning but seem to have a moan and then wander off and do their own thing. They have even been sharing a pigloo and laying next to each other munching on grass so seem to be getting on ok at the minute - lets hope it lasts.

x

When one of my girls was put on Baytril for a UTI she turned into a psychopath, she looked like the old cartoon of TAZ the Tasmanian devil. Just a spinning fur ball with teeth, it took her about a week of being on Septrin which is the proper antibiotic for a UTI to calm down.

Regards

Paul

Funny you should say that Paul, because she has seemed a little "hyper" at times and considering her and her sister had a fight a couple of weeks ago in their carry box which resulted in her obtaining a wound and being put onto Baytril, she is pushing her luck at the moment to be honest ...... keeps pushing her sister that little bit further to see exactly what she can get away with.

Maybe its the Baytril thats turned her into the hyperactive piggy that i seem to have at the moment - thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back