• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Beans and Toast are here!

Doragon

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey! I picked up my two little babies, Beans and Toast yesterday! It's been a long time since I've had babies so I just wanted to check if this was normal. They're two females and in a 2x4 C&C :) As I live in a studio, they're in my kitchen!

Picked them up yesterday afternoon and got them into their new home! They spent a long time curled up together in the corner of the cage (for some reason, not noticing the two hides! Silly babies...) before eventually moving while I was in my bedroom. I felt super bad going in there to cook last night and just kept up a string of conversation, my neighbours probably thought I was mad! Anyway, I cut them up a bit of apple (only thing I had on me) before going to bed. It was clear overnight they've come out and had a nibble at some apple and nuggets, I couldn't tell with the hay level though - and when I woke up they were both in separate igloos. I just changed their food (little bits of cucumber today!) and water and left them to it. They've...refused to budge at all today, which is absolutely understandable! I've carefully slid some hay inside the igloos with them so they can nibble on it without needing to leave the hides for hay.

I'm presuming this is all normal, right? Obviously to them right now I'm so big scary predator, but I was just getting a little worried! It's only been 24 hours since bringing them home, so it's probably going to take a bit more time for them to want to come out and explore, right? I'm trying to stay out of there as much as possible, only going in when I need to wash clothes or cook and always chattering away when I'm in there with them :P So excited for when they've settled and I can start the taming process!

Hey! I picked up my two little babies, Beans and Toast yesterday! It's been a long time since I've had babies so I just wanted to check if this was normal. They're two females and in a 2x4 C&C :) As I live in a studio, they're in my kitchen!

Picked them up yesterday afternoon and got them into their new home! They spent a long time curled up together in the corner of the cage (for some reason, not noticing the two hides! Silly babies...) before eventually moving while I was in my bedroom. I felt super bad going in there to cook last night and just kept up a string of conversation, my neighbours probably thought I was mad! Anyway, I cut them up a bit of apple (only thing I had on me) before going to bed. It was clear overnight they've come out and had a nibble at some apple and nuggets, I couldn't tell with the hay level though - and when I woke up they were both in separate igloos. I just changed their food (little bits of cucumber today!) and water and left them to it. They've...refused to budge at all today, which is absolutely understandable! I've carefully slid some hay inside the igloos with them so they can nibble on it without needing to leave the hides for hay.

I'm presuming this is all normal, right? Obviously to them right now I'm so big scary predator, but I was just getting a little worried! It's only been 24 hours since bringing them home, so it's probably going to take a bit more time for them to want to come out and explore, right? I'm trying to stay out of there as much as possible, only going in when I need to wash clothes or cook and always chattering away when I'm in there with them :P So excited for when they've settled and I can start the taming process!

Hi and nice to see you see you back!

You are doing right.

You might want to place a sheet or towel over the top the of cage to give them an added feeling of security and encourage them to come out.

I would recommend to start with feeding veg you can feed daily (which apple isn't) and to add one more new veg to the menu with every meal until they eat a normal amount.

Here are our piggy whispering and picking up tips; because you are talking sense to them, they are surprisingly effective!
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

I have a couple of extra blankets! I'll put them over as much as I can to help them feel more secure. How long should I leave the blankets on for?

Ah, don't worry! I popped out today and got lots of veggies in - pepper, carrots, celery, water cress and all that stuff! I wanted to try cucumber today as I was a little worried as I couldn't tell if they'd been drinking or not, that's all. My bad for getting a silly size water bottle for teeny babies!

Thank you! I'll give these guides a read over now. It's really funny - I walk into the kitchen all like, "Hi Beans, Hi Toast! I hope you don't mind but I'm going to be using the microwave now, it's only for soup I promise, makes a loud ding but it won't hurt you..." And....my neighbours are right on the other side of the wall :whistle: I'm hoping to land a more suitable full-time job soon so I can upgrade to somewhere with a garden!

I have a couple of extra blankets! I'll put them over as much as I can to help them feel more secure. How long should I leave the blankets on for?

Ah, don't worry! I popped out today and got lots of veggies in - pepper, carrots, celery, water cress and all that stuff! I wanted to try cucumber today as I was a little worried as I couldn't tell if they'd been drinking or not, that's all. My bad for getting a silly size water bottle for teeny babies!

Thank you! I'll give these guides a read over now. It's really funny - I walk into the kitchen all like, "Hi Beans, Hi Toast! I hope you don't mind but I'm going to be using the microwave now, it's only for soup I promise, makes a loud ding but it won't hurt you..." And....my neighbours are right on the other side of the wall :whistle: I'm hoping to land a more suitable full-time job soon so I can upgrade to somewhere with a garden!

You leave the blankets until they are out and about and no longer scared stiff ; start with opening up the sides but leaving the top for another day.

Welcome! Hope to see pictures soon 😊. If they are very small you should baby proof the c and c cage so they don't slip through the grids.

I talk to mine all the time like that... as I work from home! My latest is 'this is Dyson - he is very loud but won't hurt you 😂😂😂

By the way - sorry, lots of questions, worried mummy! I was wondering - I now have a sheet over their cage in the attempts to make them feel at ease bar one corner so I can peek and ensure everything's alright. They've both finished up their hay I've placed inside the hides with them - should I gently refresh it or leave them to forage and find the hay rack as encouragement to come out?

Hi! It's lovely to be back, missed you all <3

thats normal and is exactly what happen with my new pigs theyll get used to u if u give them veggies and lets them eat from your hand thatll also train them

That’s good! I’m still a little worried, as it’s been a couple of days and they’re still not wanting to come out the igloos much for food. Massive panicky mummy! I also don’t even want to attempt to handle them though until they’re not spending all their time in the igloos... but they are eating, mostly at night though even with the sheet over them! Just feeling a little lost. All piggies I’ve had before have settled well so this is new.

Aw cuties! We have purple C&C cages too :) You might want to put 2 or 3 layers of newspaper under your woodshavings to make cage cleans much easier, then you can just lift the edges of the newspaper and roll it up with all the peed on woodshavings and poops inside- lots quicker and less to sweep up!

Back