• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Beans Is Struggling Without Toast

Aww poor Beans. And poor you! I think sometimes they half expect their companion to come back in the first few days and are a bit hopeful, and then get very down when they realise that, sadly, they aren't coming back :(
I agree with the above - take her for a checkup with her favourite vet and then let her take some time to grieve. Some seem to grieve longer than others! Good luck, hugs to you and Beans :hug:

Thank you everyone, you have all been so supportive. My Mum had been keeping me updated while I was at work and Beans was still very withdrawn. When I came home from work Beans came running to see me at the front door, something that her and Toast have always done. She picked up after seeing me but she's now back to being sleepy/lethargic.

I done a full cage change yesterday night, the first one since losing Toast. Could it be that changing all the fleece to fresh fleece has caused her to miss Toast again? Toast's smell is still in the room of course and the cage but it won't be quite as strong now.

Ayr's guinea pig rescue have got lots of guinea pigs in at the moment looking for homes. She's full to capacity. There is a trio of girls and a pair of girls nearly ready for a home. There's quite a lot of boys in at the moment too. The pair of girls have been put in with the herd of elderly resident piggies and they've mixed really well.

Ayr's guinea pig rescue have got lots of guinea pigs in at the moment looking for homes. She's full to capacity. There is a trio of girls and a pair of girls nearly ready for a home. There's quite a lot of boys in at the moment too. The pair of girls have been put in with the herd of elderly resident piggies and they've mixed really well.
Thank you that's good to know. I'll phone tomorrow to see about it all X

I've asked Kirsteen how many girls she's got in. As I only manage in once a week to volunteer.

She's got 2 trios of girls (1 trio still under assessment)
1 pair of 2/3 years olds.
1 pair of 5 year olds (really cute, one is a fuzzy pig)

I'm sure she would let you bring Beans along to choose some new friends. As she's had piggies in before to bond.

Kirsteen says that would be ok. The best days for that would be a Sunday or a Monday. As she's closed to the public then so there is more space to put up a pen area.

Kirsteen says that would be ok. The best days for that would be a Sunday or a Monday. As she's closed to the public then so there is more space to put up a pen area.
Thank you so much. I'm going to get Beans vet checked first incase she's got any illnesses coming on x

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, after losing my Elsa a couple of weeks ago, I know how difficult it is. Elsa left behind Sven who we tried to bond with two guinea pigs but she decided she didn't want to live with anyone else so is living next door to them.

I just wanted to try and reassure you that if Beans doesn't want to live with another pig, there are other options. We also didn't feel ready for another guinea pig but adopting Lily and Rosie has brought us back to life too. So even if Beans is ready for another friend but you're not, I'm sure that you will bond with another guinea pig over time.

No one can replace the guinea pigs that we lose but I'm sure that you have lots of love to give to a new friend for Beans.

I hope everything works out for you both

I am so sorry to hear that Beans is struggling.
I think you are doing an amazing job taking care of her and putting her interests first.

I also fully understand you not wanting to get another piggy so soon after loosing Toast, but remember you would in no way be replacing Toast.
Maybe an option would be to foster a piggy (or pair of piggies) for the rescue as companions for Beans.
Then you always have the option to return them at a later date if you feel you need to.
This is actually quite a common practice in Switzerland where you are able to take on 'loan' piggies to keep a singe one company, but when the older piggy passes you can return the loan piggy so you can have a break if you need to.
It means older piggies do not have to be alone, but owners are not forced to keep taking on young piggies.

Good luck sorting everything out.
Sending gentle hugs for you and Beans.

Thank you to everyone for all your ideas and advice, Beans is doing better this morning. When I got up I expected her to be sitting in a corner again but when I opened the cage door she shot out into the kitchen to sit by the fridge for her veg to "fall out", as was her and Toast's morning routine.

I think it may have been me changing the fleece on Saturday night that set her back. It obviously had to be done at some point but it was after that that she really was pining even more.

I'm still going to get her vet checked (hopefully for tomorrow) though just to be sure. I didn't want to get any more pigs so soon because losing Toast has absolutely broken me, I don't know how people with several pigs go through that, but if Beans doesn't seem to adjust then I will. She's an old pig who is slowing down but I don't want her to be lonely.

Well done guys you could have turned the corner a little. I wish I could help as you missing Toast so much You all are but I promise time mends. It hurts and always will but we learn to live with it. x Bless love the fall out veg. x

I really feel for you and your little furry, it's so hard when one is left on their own :(

I lost Tilly last October and Hettie was initially very quiet but still eating. As time went on, she seemed happy enough and I really couldn't face adopting another.

However, a few months ago I knew the time was right and we adopted Colin. Hettie is definately more piggie like now Colin is here!

Take it day by day before rushing into any decision. I do, however, agree that if she is going downhill, then adopting a piggie from anywhere would be absolutely fine. Sometimes a petshop is the only quick fix answer xx

I really feel for you and your little furry, it's so hard when one is left on their own :(

I lost Tilly last October and Hettie was initially very quiet but still eating. As time went on, she seemed happy enough and I really couldn't face adopting another.

However, a few months ago I knew the time was right and we adopted Colin. Hettie is definately more piggie like now Colin is here!

Take it day by day before rushing into any decision. I do, however, agree that if she is going downhill, then adopting a piggie from anywhere would be absolutely fine. Sometimes a petshop is the only quick fix answer xx
How old is Tilly? Beans is spayed so could go with a full boar, but she gets very stressed out being mounted- Toast used to try it. What made you think it was time to get another pig? X

Back