• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Beaphar Anti Parasite Spot On? Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot fox

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, I have been successfully using this product to rid my brood of mites. However, they've needed two doses within the last three/four weeks and it's costing about £15 to buy enough product to use for all five! I notice some of you use a shampoo instead, is this just as effective? Do Piggles hate being bathed?
Are there any other similar products that people have used successfully?
Advise gratefully received.
Thanks

Oral or injected ivermectin does tend to work cheaper for those with more than one or two piggies. (And yes, that injected ivermectin is from the vets!)

Xeno 450 (or Xeno 50 Mini for those under 800g) is the only topical ivermectin I would recommend as the dosage is more accurately determined than in the Beaphar, but the Xeno is much more expensive at £17-ish for one pack of six pipettes.

Even putting cost aside, I much prefer dosing orally than topically, and I would never use a topical ivermectin treatment on a pig with severely irritated or broken skin. Will PM you in a sec re the oral Ivomec.

Bathing is a good part of the routine to rid pigs of mites, but it's typically used after dosing with ivermectin, as bathing won't eliminate all types of mite. I tend to advice bathing at least at the end of treatment.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47314

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back