• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bear Doesn't Seem Herself After Bereavement

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinnieandBear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

Recently I lost my 6 month old sow and she has left her timid sister behind. Bear seemed to perk right up the other evening and was running around and popcorning, but she seems to have become very withdrawn and is spending lots of time in her hidey lying down. She used to sleep more outside the hidey and in her hammock but she has become very scared. I have been handfeeding her veggies and spending lots more time handling her to try and calm her. Her eating has definitely slowed, although she has not stopped eating, but as she is coming out less, she must be eating less pellets and hay than usual.

I have contacted a couple of recommended rescues to find her a mate but Blackberry Patch has not yet got back to me, and Hazelcroft St Albans have no single sows. I would happily rehome two more but I don't have a large enough cage at the moment. We are planning on getting a C&C cage soon, but until then, I need to find a single sow to bond with her asap in my opinion.

Has anybody got any tips on how to help her become more confident, or know of any other recommended rescues in the Herts and Essex area? My partner is taking next friday off so we can go out and find a piggy friend, but until we hear back we can't arrange any dating.

I am very sorry for poor Bear! Pining is hard to bear when you are struggling already with the loss of the companion. Hopefully, Bear will come out of deep mourning after a few days.

Have you looked on our rescue locator on the top bar? There is a Wood Green centre in Heydon, and Heathlands Animal Rescue is not that much further, either. Having been in your situation myself, I know how desperate you are feeling. Just ring up any rescues within reach and look for sows or neutered boars.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

If you are able to travel into London and out again I rehomed one of my neutered boars from Animal Lifeline in Sutton. There are also some rescues in London like East Peckham Guinea Pig Rescue.

Thank you guys, I'm calling around at the moment. We are happy to drive up to a couple of hours away but of course, closer the better as we would hopefully be able to take Bear to meet them x

Thank you guys, I'm calling around at the moment. We are happy to drive up to a couple of hours away but of course, closer the better as we would hopefully be able to take Bear to meet them x

Bear will be fine to accompany you. I have travelled further with piggies of all ages.
Best of luck in your search!

I'm sorry for your loss, and then for the prolonged stress of trying to find a new companion for a grieving piggy!

If you are able to travel into London and out again I rehomed one of my neutered boars from Animal Lifeline in Sutton. There are also some rescues in London like East Peckham Guinea Pig Rescue.

I can second Animal Lifeline, if you're willing to go as far as there then Bobtails are only 15mins further down the road in Ewell, ARC are quite a bit further in Twickenham/Richmond area too. East Peckham would probably be your closest London rescue from Bishops Stortford though.
Good luck!

I'm sorry for your loss. I think it is especially hard for the timid piggies when they lose a companion who has been giving them confidence. Sundae was very anxious and agitated after we lost Linney. She is a nervous type anyhow and just did not seem able to cope on her own. It does sound like you have some rescues available to you... we ended up back at the pet store where we got Sundae, as rescues for guinea pigs are few and far between in Ontario and the only one in the area does not adopt single pigs, only bonded pairs, and we did not have room to take on an additional pig. I would have preferred to rescue but didn't see it as a viable option given the circumstances where I live (I did make sure to go to the more responsible pet shop in our area that does separate animals by gender and have appropriate housing for them, but I still felt slightly bad, but didn't see a way around it.) I hope you are able to find a good match for her!

Very sorry for the loss of Poor Winnie. I hope Bear perks up soon and you can find her a lovely new friend.

I would be interested to hear what you think of Blackberry Patch rescue as it is the only piggie rescue in Chelmsford.

@Freela I have been calling rescues, but like you say they tend to bond them as pairs and I don't have the cage space right now to take on two more piggies, although I'd love to. Winnie's vet bill came to over £200 so I can't afford a new cage just yet, I would if I could! I want to get her a friend as soon as I can so she can bounce back to her normal self. Sundae and Bear sound very similar, I hate seeing her feeling so down and worried. Thank you for all the support everyone! I've called a few rescues but nobody has any single girls or neutered boars. There is a boar waiting to be neutered who could be an option but he wouldn't be ready for a few weeks, we are going to go and see him next friday if we have no other options before then. xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back