• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

bear might lose his leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I cannot believe it I'm sitting here feeling sick as a dog ( sorry dogs)" bear" my adorable rex must have hurt his leg as yesterday i found it swollen thinking it might be bumble foot I made an urgent appointment with the vet this morning he said Bear has probably broken his wrist it was grinding and the swelling was infection set in, how did it happen I said to him he is a very quite pig? they can do it simply by popcorning, (and we all thought this was great fun to see ) so he took him back to the main vet hospital as i would'nt leave him in pain and demanded he was seen today,
so they managed to fit him in despite the vets op list being full, but as i am a regular and well known to them ( helps having a bit of clout lol) anyway am now waiting for him to have an xray to see if it is broken and if the infection will stop it mending if thats the case he will lose his leg, the phone call should be any time to ask permission for his leg to be removed if they cant save it,
to say I am heart broken is an understatement, how can such a happy thing result in a broken wrist, and now obvioulsy I am also worrying about the anesthetic on him, he is such a darling neck snuggling pig I'm so gutted, and am walking around home muttering to myself, please God make him better :'( :'(

((((((Michelle)))))

So sorry. Fingers crossed they dont have to take Bear's leg off. Let us know. I'm worried too.

Michele

oh gosh Michelle what a terrible thing to happen.. Hope for his sake it's not the case..

Hugs to you both.

Kelly xx

Oh gosh! I'm so sorry, you and Bear are in my prayers. ((HUGS)) :'(

Oh Michelle I'm really sorry for you and Bear.

I really hop they can help him.

Thinking of you

xx

just gone and picked bear up he has a badly infected septic arthritis in his wrist bone of his front foreleg, the X ray showed no real brake but the infection is in the whole joint which includes the small joints and cannot be washed out, he has given me 3 choices firstly the bad is to put him to sleep nah I said not even an option, 2nd remove the leg and 3rd is to hit the infection with everything we can so he is on
Metacam for pain relief (i Insisited this)
baytril anti biotic high dose, of course will also add the probiotic i already have
and homeopathy Hepar/sulp 30c he said he has tried it on dogs twice for same problem and both times it worked, the vet who did the X ray is called Donald and is very into homeopathy and it think its good the vet hospital can include this as a method of treatment,
does any one else know anything about homeopathy for animals?
he did say if nothing has worked in 2 weeks he will still need his leg removed, I'm so gutted as when I picked him up he snuggled into my neck as if to say hi mum I'm home, he is staying in the living room with us not back in the shed as i want to keep an eye on him and of course spoil him rotten , the kids will have to be very quite.... as if.
thanks for all your good wishes, I did find out for sure this morning bear is going to be a dad though, Clara is definalty showing now yippeee, will keep you updated on him

At least its not broken and you are able to try some things first.

Not sure how a piggy survives with 3 legs though. I'm sure someone knows on here.

Keep us posted on his progress and congratulations Bear Father to be. LOL.

Michele

I'm feeling a little more optomistic now i have found the homeopathic pills on the internet and it says what its used for, cant imagine bear running after little bears on 3 legs lol got to keep smiling or i'd be so down about it all, he is only 18 months old bless him, :)

Not sure how a piggy survives with 3 legs though. I'm sure someone knows on here.

I hope this doesnt happen for you and your guineas sake but i watched an episode of Animal hospital and this little babie himi was attacked by bunnies and had to have his leg removed and he was fine afterwards he still does all the piggie things aparantly it took him a while to keep his balance but after that she continued to popcorn and they got him a friend, your post brought that episode back to me hope the medicine works x

i found it swollen thinking it might be bumble foot

Could i ask what bumble foot is and can it be fatal as I took Rudi to the vet with a hard little swollen lump on his toe could this have been bumble foot because our vet wasnt sure xx

I think my vet misdiagnosed Rudi and that killed him cos it looks familiar! >:(

I'm so sorry what happened to Rudi, everyone needs to really read up on all health issues on our pigs so when you go to the vets for problems you would have at least some idea to throw at him about what you also think it could be, gives them no way out, I know when I go they always look amazed when I start spouting what "I" think, but they all agree its refreshing to have some one who can give them as much info as possible and to be honest we all know our pigs and can often say to the vet, well he would do this and would'nt do that, they must find it easier to diagnoised when we give them as much info as possible,
I knew Bear was poorly simply by his reactions and after checking him found his swollen leg, even though i have 39 pigs I do know all of my pigs ways and manners and I think this goes a long way for helping the vet,
you also need to be strong when it comes to telling the vet whats wrong and what you expect to be done etc,
yesterday I insisited on pain relief and that he was x rayed then and there I did'nt care the vets op list was full lol and I am very happy with the result the vets are really trying hard to save bears leg, some times vets get a bad name but they can only do good if they have enough info etc, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back